Why don't we have a SNES Game Jam?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Nikku4211

Re: Why don't we have a SNES Game Jam?

Post by Nikku4211 »

turboxray wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:31 pm So you're actually going to write some code? :D
Maybe.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Make some legit prizes. Like some $50 or $100 gift cards or something. Or give away an SD2SNES Pro flashcart.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Erockbrox wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:08 pm Make some legit prizes. Like some $50 or $100 gift cards or something. Or give away an SD2SNES Pro flashcart.
I would definitely like the FXPro flashcart.

But then again, not everybody has $50 or $100 to give to a contest winner.

That is, if this game jam turns out to be a contest.

Plus, gift cards are an absolutely useless gift, because they exclusively only work in a single store, so if you aren't anywhere near that store or simply aren't interested in shopping in it, then that gift card isn't really much of a prize.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

I have like $50 visa gift card that I got for Christmas. You can use this online anywhere, so these types of cards are very useful. ( they are not just limited to a single store)

One idea that comes to mind is that you get the whole SNES community involved and make it a yearly event. Basically everyone who is in the SNES community pitches in like $5 which everyone can do then you do the game jam contest and give away some visa gift cards for the winners and make it a big community thing.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Erockbrox wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:07 pm I have like $50 visa gift card that I got for Christmas. You can use this online anywhere, so these types of cards are very useful. ( they are not just limited to a single store)

One idea that comes to mind is that you get the whole SNES community involved and make it a yearly event. Basically everyone who is in the SNES community pitches in like $5 which everyone can do then you do the game jam contest and give away some visa gift cards for the winners and make it a big community thing.
Now that would be awesome.

Then again, is $50 really that good of a prize?

I mean, that's only 2.5 weeks' worth of the money I get from me mum, and this compo would probably last for more than that.

Plus, everything's so expensive now, what can you get for $50 or less that a SNES homebrew developer would be interested in and doesn't already have?
turboxray

Post by turboxray »

It's not supposed to be a side job hahah. Just a nice small something of a reward. Makes it feel a little more official. Like that gold sticker in kindergarten.

I don't know if I have time to do enter in, but I love these kind of compos. I'd be willing to add to the reward pot though, as encouragement. Aka sponsor.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

turboxray wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:38 pm I don't know if I have time to do enter in, but I love these kind of compos. I'd be willing to add to the reward pot though, as encouragement. Aka sponsor.
Alright. Can't wait for the Turboxray SNES Game Jam to start.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

I would say that if you really want to get something going, try and get the whole SNES community involved.

Get someone to organize it, ask for donations from the community for prizes. Give enough time to make a decent game, 2-3 months, and then judge them.
olddb

Post by olddb »

Erockbrox wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:04 pm the whole SNES community
You mean like Reddit and such?
Svambo

Post by Svambo »

Piko interactive did a nice multi-card with some homebrew titles some time ago. It even had a menu to select the game.
How about asking them to sell a card with the Game jam participants and use the income to raise price-money for round 2?

I'll add something into the price-pot for round 1 too.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Svambo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:56 pm Piko interactive did a nice multi-card with some homebrew titles some time ago. It even had a menu to select the game.
How about asking them to sell a card with the Game jam participants and use the income to raise price-money for round 2?

I'll add something into the price-pot for round 1 too.
But then you've got to reach an agreement with the people who have made the games in the jams on exactly how the 'card' (I don't know if you mean cartridge or SD card) profits will be distributed.

People deserve to share the money a compilation with their games in it gets, as they were the ones who made the games in the first place.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Here is my idea. Lets have the launch of the console decide the day of the game jam.

According to my search it was September 9th 1991. At least for North America.

So this gives plenty of time. Basically start organizing the event now, and anyone can start working on their games all the way up to the deadline, which is September 9th.

State the event now. You have until September 9th to submit your entry. Then ask the SNES community for some donations and prizes to give away. Even if some people just pitched in a dollar or something. Also let the community have a say on the winner.

Well there is my pitch.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Erockbrox wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:07 pm Here is my idea. Lets have the launch of the console decide the day of the game jam.

According to my search it was September 9th 1991. At least for North America.

So this gives plenty of time. Basically start organizing the event now, and anyone can start working on their games all the way up to the deadline, which is September 9th.

State the event now. You have until September 9th to submit your entry. Then ask the SNES community for some donations and prizes to give away. Even if some people just pitched in a dollar or something. Also let the community have a say on the winner.

Well there is my pitch.
Alright.

Hey SNES community!!! Can you please donate some cash for the prizes to give away for this new SNES game jam?!?!?! We have a deadline for 9 September of this year and you will get to vote for who the winners are!!!
olddb

Post by olddb »

Erockbrox wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:07 pm Well there is my pitch.

Beautiful.
Gives plenty of time.
I think next step should be to write the pitch for the competition to promote on social media and get the ball rolling.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

olddb wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:46 am Beautiful.
Gives plenty of time.
I think next step should be to write the pitch for the competition to promote on social media and get the ball rolling.
Okay, let's make a Twitter account and try to get #SNESGameJam2021 trending by posting plenty of memes promoting it.