Pong de las Tortugas Ninja Trilogy

Moderator: Moderators

eskayelle

Pong de las Tortugas Ninja Trilogy

Post by eskayelle »

You guys mind if I throw my hat... er... games into the ring for the competition? They're fairly rudimentary in terms of development (these are my first attempts at NES homebrew and don't have fully optimized code; plus, there are some inefficient workarounds I developed for issues that I couldn't otherwise resolve based on my limited understanding currently), so I'm presuming they'd qualify as Category 2 entries.

A trilogy of Pong variants, loosely based on the old '70s Pong clones, with a mash-up of a certain group of radical reptiles...

Pong de las Tortugas Ninja
Pong de las Tortugas Ninja II
Pong de las Tortugas Ninja III

Genre:
Sports (Pong clones)

Development Details:
NROM mapper (compiled using Notepad and NESASM3, with CHR data developed via MS Paint and Tile Layer Pro)

Features:
  • 3 separate games, each based upon the Pong variants made available by the General Instruments AY-3-8500 chip, as seen within the Magnavox Odyssey 300, Wonder Wizard, Gulliver Triple Challenge, and other Pong clones)
  • Play against the CPU or a human opponent
  • Frantic play-till-15 action!
Competition Category:
Category 2 - Game (3 in total)

A few teaser shots follow below...

Goose2k

Re: Pong de las Tortugas Ninja Trilogy

Post by Goose2k »

Did you mean Category 1 "Game"?

I think as is, the games will be disqualified due to:

"Entries must be original. Plagiarism and copyright infringement will result in disqualification." (as well as "material you do not have rights to will not be considered for the multicart." for Category 2)

Could they be reworked to have original characters maybe?
eskayelle

Post by eskayelle »

Hey, Matt. Thanks for the response. I'm loving your From Below game and looking forward to what becomes of Witch-N-Wiz!

If the judges decided the games qualify as a category 1, I'm not opposed, but I'm making the presumption that they'd benefit from the relaxed rules of category 2. Plus, they're not going to be as complex in gameplay or design as any of the other entrants, so I don't really foresee much coming from trying to flip it to a cat 1.

In terms of material, each game is loosely based on a certain gang of shellbacks but isn't necessarily them, nor does any game ever directly reference to the group that inspired it. From an artistic preference point of view, the concept and story are pretty much the games I was trying to make, so I'm rolling the dice a bit and throwing it at the mercy of the judges' feet.

Happy to have folks looking at (and hopefully enjoying) them regardless of the outcome!

Cheers! :beer:
Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead »

eskayelle wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:03 pm In terms of material, each game is loosely based on a certain gang of shellbacks but isn't necessarily them, nor does any game ever directly reference to the group that inspired it.
Those sprites look awful familiar... sorry to say.

I'm sure you could go to opengameart and find a suitable replacement though.
https://www.opengameart.org

Anyway, it would be cool if you could combine those 3 modes into one NROM.
eskayelle

Post by eskayelle »

Sorry for the delay in response. While certain sprites in TMNT Pong I and II do play homage to a certain NES game, there are indeed subtle differences that I'd hope are reasonable. Worst case, TMNT Pong III is distanced from the other two games in terms of sprite set such that it could stand on its own as a Category 2.

I'd love to put the three games together as one rom. I did try a 3-in-1 utility but didn't have any luck. I'd need a collab and some guidance from someone well beyond my current experience set to make that happen, but I'm definitely up for learning from anyone interested in taking a look at the code.
DRW

Post by DRW »

eskayelle wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:03 pm In terms of material, each game is loosely based on a certain gang of shellbacks but isn't necessarily them, nor does any game ever directly reference to the group that inspired it.
Seriously? You're literally calling your games "Ninja Turtles".
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
tepples

Post by tepples »

Last I read, ViacomCBS's terms and up-front fees weren't friendly to amateur or small-time professional licensees. I don't remember where I read it, but I vaguely remember 40,000 USD just to open negotiations.
eskayelle

Post by eskayelle »

Acknowledged. Thanks for looking, tepples!
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Haha dude... you play the turtles theme song on the main menu! :lol: