Deflemask player for PCE

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system. See the WSdev wiki and ObscureDev wiki for more information on certain platforms.
turboxray

Deflemask player for PCE

Post by turboxray »

https://twitter.com/turboxray/status/13 ... 57504?s=20
WIP is coming along nicely. It's not a vgm player, but player made from scratch that plays convert dmf files. It's geared directly for game development on the PCE, so it'll support sound FX as well (in dmf format).
lidnariq

Re: Deflemask player for PCE

Post by lidnariq »

Not really related, but I'm surprised at how much better I like that arrangement over the original.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

lidnariq wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:25 am Not really related, but I'm surprised at how much better I like that arrangement over the original.
My favourite part is the Discord notification sound.
turboxray wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:48 pm https://twitter.com/turboxray/status/13 ... 57504?s=20
WIP is coming along nicely. It's not a vgm player, but player made from scratch that plays convert dmf files. It's geared directly for game development on the PCE, so it'll support sound FX as well (in dmf format).
Does this mean you can now use VuurniacSquarewave's TG16 remixes of the Journey to Silius soundtrack and SuperJet Spade's TG16 remix of Journey to Silius' 3rd level in a Journey to Silius NES-to-TG16 port?
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
TOUKO

Post by TOUKO »

turboxray wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:48 pm https://twitter.com/turboxray/status/13 ... 57504?s=20
Excellent news :D
can't wait for this,for sound fx, do you plan to add a system that gives the developer the option to use his own driver ??
turboxray

Post by turboxray »

TOUKO wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:01 am
Excellent news :D
can't wait for this,for sound fx, do you plan to add a system that gives the developer the option to use his own driver ??
I could integrate a call function pointer for it. Shouldn't be that difficult. The channels still process, they just don't update the hardware when an SFX takes over a specific channel. I mean, that might mess up phasing (detune with paired channels) a tiny bit, but just don't use phasing on channels you plan to have open for SFX.. kinda thing. But yeah, that's doable. You can do anything you want with the channel.. including changing the waveform. That player will change it back when you release it.
lidnariq wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:25 am Not really related, but I'm surprised at how much better I like that arrangement over the original.
I'm a fan of Michirin's work.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Nice! It's good to see a game- or demo-oriented assembleable tracker project going for the PCE. Not that I'm a musician or anything.
turboxray

Post by turboxray »

ccovell wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:21 pm Nice! It's good to see a game- or demo-oriented assembleable tracker project going for the PCE. Not that I'm a musician or anything.
Yeah, before I headed back to college, I was working on a specific PCE tracker. But then deflemask was getting popular and already had initial PCE support, so I stopped all development because I figured someone would make a pce-side player (not a vgm player). I was surprised when I didn't see one after getting back into PCE dev stuff last year.

You would think writing a deflemask player would be straight forward, but there are weird logic state transitions and such edge cases that are a pain to RE (mostly related to how it handles FX) - I think some might be un-intentional. It uses a linear frequency system for finetune and vibrato, but uses period system for pitch slides - makes no sense. It's a real time sync trying to RE all of it. This feels oddly similar to writing an emulator in some ways haha.

That said, I'm about 90% complete on the player. When I'm done though, I'm going to write my own player with a custom format and new FX. There's some of newly-ish discovered audio tricks that I want to implement. I'm also going to write a native PCE editor for it (it'll all be open source). Mednafen already has that unreleased PCE keyboard support (and I'm in talks with dshadoff about doing a usb to pce keyboard/mouse adapter).

Also, I'm pretty close to going beta with this player and I'll open the library/converter to the public in 2-3 weeks.
sdm

Post by sdm »

What about the project? Something new?
turboxray

Post by turboxray »

sdm wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:04 am What about the project? Something new?
Yes. I'm working on the sound FX handling routine part of it. Once that's formalized, there will be an open beta for people to play with. I also have it integrated and working with HuC as well (not just asm).

Here's a quick demo of the sound engine with a game demo engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU7myUxemZg