What keyboards do you use for programming?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Drag

Re: What keyboards do you use for programming?

Post by Drag »

Agreed on wireless input devices; I spring for wired (or wireless with the option to use a USB cable instead) whenever I can, originally because the issue with batteries, but also, I notice the input lag when I'm trying to use a mouse. I briefly switched over from a really plain generic mouse to one of the fancier ergonomic ones, but I could not stand how slippery and inaccurate the mouse cursor was. I ended up springing for a somewhat cheap but still good Logitech M-series, but wired, and there was an instant improvement.

Wireless mice are good for travel though, so I don't write them off completely, but for a semi-permanent workstation, hardwired please.

Also, typing on a mobile device using a soft keyboard is a universally bad experience, even for quick and brief text messages, I hate it.

I'm the same on numpads (as in, I prefer them). When doing laptop shopping, I always look for ones that have a numpad. Consider also that the numpad contains home/end, page up/down, and insert/delete keys in standard positions, so if you have a numpad, you can completely ignore where your manufacturer decided to place the dedicated versions of those keys. It's also convenient for typing in numbers (I actually don't know how to use the top row of numbers when typing, I always need to glance at the keyboard, but I do know how to use the numpad), but I think I use it for home/end and page up/down more.
Ziggy587

Post by Ziggy587 »

I'm not a programmer, but otherwise a heavy computer user. Finding a good but affordable keyboard has been a pet peeve of mine for years. I can type 90-100 words per minute, but I suffer on poorly designed keyboard. My WPM go down on shitty keyboards. I also type pretty hard, so I tend to wear out cheap keyboard pretty fast.

One problem with finding a good keyboard these days is the market being flooded with all these "gaming" keyboards that have flashy RGB lights and features you don't need (and would rather not have). I prefer a standard layout, and without any (intrusive) extra features.

Someone mentioned the Das Keyboard, I always thought they looked awesome but a little too expensive for me.

For my home main desktop, I eventually went with the Corsair K70. It's a standard layout (you don't have to use the fancy WASD keys) and the extra features are not intrusive at all. I thought I didn't need backlit keys, but now I actually enjoy them. At work, I would never need them. But at home, sometimes the room is dimly lit and the backlit keys is actually pretty nice. I have the old model that has red lights (3 brightness settings) and it's not harsh on the eyes. Newer models that flash all sorts of RGB, I would find that very annoying. Mine has Cherry MX Brown switches, which are pretty quiet, and I put those rubber o-rings on each key so it's quieter still.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categorie ... 9000067-NA

At my last job, I needed a reliable keyboard but one that was relatively cheap and didn't have any "gaming" features. When you have to get purchases approved, it's already hard to justify a keyboard to finance that cost more than $10 ("Why can't you just use this Amazon Basics one?") so having one that lights up and has "gaming" in the description is probably not gonna get approved. So I took a chance on this one...

Eagletec KG010 - https://www.amazon.com/EagleTec-Mechani ... 01LWLIRSC/

It's everything I wanted in a keyboard. Inexpensive, standard layout (including not replacing the context menu key with a stupid FN key), no intrusive extra features, and super reliable. I pounded away on this keyboard for years, and I even spilled a coffee on it once. The switches aren't Cherry MX, but they work perfectly. The only downside is that the click is very loud and they don't offer a model with quieter switches. Also, since I type heavy, the keys bottom out and add to how loud it is. It wasn't a problem when I was in my own office, but when I had to move my desk to another area it apparently bothered the surrounding co-workers. I was going to get those rubber o-rings to try and muffle it a little, but then COVID happened and everyone went home. So while this is a great keyboard for the price, if you're in a cubicle or something then be prepared to get complaints.

There was one time that I dropped something really heavy on the top-left corner of the keyboard and it broke the plastic riser leg on that side. The keyboard frame is metal, and that was unharmed, but the two feet to prop up the keyboard are plastic. I can't blame the keyboard for this, since you shouldn't drop heavy things on it. I was able to super glue the leg back together and it worked for a while longer, but then I eventually broke it again (it was fragile after being glued together). After that, I just laid it flat and realized that it's still comfortable to use that way.

I enjoyed the Eagletec keyboard so much that I had a number of other people get one, and none of them have been disappointed either. There's also an LED backlit version, if you're into that sort of thing. I even got one for myself, for my secondary desktop at home.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yes exactly! The main reason I'm leaning toward a Ducky Shine keyboard is that all its fancy features are built-in and handled by its micro controller. To the computer it's just a standard USB keyboard and doesn't require any proprietary drivers to run and handle the RGB LEDs and other stuff. The Fn key can also be moved or disabled altogether using DIP-switches on the keyboard itself.
It may be considered flashy with it's RGB LEDs, but they can be programmed to not disturb (with the Fn button and various key combinations). I already have a Ducky Secret M mouse which uses the same principle with all the programming (RGB, sensitivity etc) done using button combinations on the mouse itself which I like. It's not popular as a gaming mouse (because changing DPI requires pressing a button on the bottom of the mouse) but I don't need a gaming mouse.

Working in Japan I also got used to working with a JIS keyboard so I'm considering actually getting one with that layout. The main advantage it has is that there is no key between the left SHIFT and the Z key like there is on the ISO layout, as this key has moved next to the backspace key I think. This key on ISO keyboards often gets in the way, especially in programs made with ANSI or JIS keyboards in mind. It also has the advantage in that the key marking matches the Swedish layout quite good with for example the parenthesis keys being on 8 and 9 instead of 9 and 0 as on modern English keyboards. Some older computers such as the Commodore 64 had this layout (parenthesis on 8 and 9) even in English, but it must have been changed at some point with the JIS and Swedish keyboards keeping the other style.
The main disadvantage is that space bar and the backspace key are both much shorter due to the extra keys, and this took me some time to get used to.

Drag wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:51 am I'm the same on numpads (as in, I prefer them). When doing laptop shopping, I always look for ones that have a numpad. Consider also that the numpad contains home/end, page up/down, and insert/delete keys in standard positions, so if you have a numpad, you can completely ignore where your manufacturer decided to place the dedicated versions of those keys. It's also convenient for typing in numbers (I actually don't know how to use the top row of numbers when typing, I always need to glance at the keyboard, but I do know how to use the numpad), but I think I use it for home/end and page up/down more.
With the top-row keys you can only do the index-finger-waltz and I think I always have to look. I use them when mixing text and numbers, but when having to enter lots of numbers (like when using the calculator or when using an internet bank interface in the web browser) I really need the numpad. It's just unfortunate that there are two main standards for numpads: one used by computer keyboards and many other devices with lower numbers at bottom and one used with phones and yet other keypad devices with lower numbers on top.