SNES Music Pack 1 by Resistance

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Nikku4211

Re: SNES Music Pack 1 by Resistance

Post by Nikku4211 »

93143 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:51 pm Also, real streaming music eats a lot of ROM. If you managed to get 32 KHz stereo working, you'd be consuming over 2 MB per minute. It would probably be better to use streaming for playback and/or hotswapping of samples, combined with more conventional music sequencing.
Yeah, I think he was talking more about using HDMA to hotswap samples and stream note data.
93143 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:51 pm Also, Wayne's World? What did they stream in that game? The soundtrack sounds like WarpSpeed plus cheap guitars.
They streamed note data. I'm not sure if they hotswapped samples too, though.

Of course, I don't think Wayne's World needed the hotswapping and note streaming, but regardless, it's there.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.

Post by 93143 »

Oh yeah, I remember. A number of games are undumpable as SPC, not because of sample streaming, but because of note data being supplied in real time by the S-CPU. I suspect NBA Live '96 did this because they filled ARAM too full of samples. Wolfenstein 3D seems to do this too, and it has no excuse* because the samples are tiny and blah.

* read: no technical excuse. The game was ported in under a month.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

93143 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:17 pm Oh yeah, I remember. A number of games are undumpable as SPC, not because of sample streaming, but because of note data being supplied in real time by the S-CPU. I suspect NBA Live '96 did this because they filled ARAM too full of samples. Wolfenstein 3D seems to do this too, and it has no excuse* because the samples are tiny and blah.
I thought NBA Live also hotswapped samples, which I tend to confuse with sample streaming.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.