ExtHiROM And ExtLoROM ?

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
Kayumba

ExtHiROM And ExtLoROM ?

Post by Kayumba »

Can not find any information about
ExtHiROM And ExtLoROM.
I know only HiRom, LoRom and Ex-Hirom mappers.

What is it?
What games was created with those mappers ?

Thanks
lidnariq

Re: ExtHiROM And ExtLoROM ?

Post by lidnariq »

It's supposed to be the same thing. Since "Ex" might mean "Extended" they just clipped it differently. I'd recommend using the more standardized terms.

ExLoROM is the same extension of LoROM (mode $20) in the same way that ExHiROM (mode $25) is an extension of HiROM (mode $21): namely, two ROMs, the first is available in banks $80-$FF and is always 4MB in size, the other is anything up to 3.9MB an is available in banks $00-$7D.

ExLoROM was only used by some ROM hacks, and Nintendo never defined something similar. It's strictly inferior to mode $25 for almost all purposes.
Kayumba

Post by Kayumba »

lidnariq wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:22 pm It's supposed to be the same thing. Since "Ex" might mean "Extended" they just clipped it differently. I'd recommend using the more standardized terms.

ExLoROM is the same extension of LoROM (mode $20) in the same way that ExHiROM (mode $25) is an extension of HiROM (mode $21): namely, two ROMs, the first is available in banks $80-$FF and is always 4MB in size, the other is anything up to 3.9MB an is available in banks $00-$7D.

ExLoROM was only used by some ROM hacks, and Nintendo never defined something similar. It's strictly inferior to mode $25 for almost all purposes.
I see better now.
Kayumba

Post by Kayumba »

lidnariq wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:22 pm It's supposed to be the same thing. Since "Ex" might mean "Extended" they just clipped it differently. I'd recommend using the more standardized terms.

So those names it’s only to extend one big rom file to two eprom’s, is that exact ?
Thats why I never find any rom file with those kind of mappers.
That’s mean when we using « flash eprom » (with enough of space) , no need to use any special pinout mappers if we have enough of space on flash chip .
Right ?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Kayumba wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:05 am So those names it’s only to extend one big rom file to two eprom’s, is that exact ?
Mode $25 - the only one that ever had physical releases, as opposed to ROM hackers doing who knows what - always used two ROMs. It was only used by two games - Tales of Phantasia and Daikaijū Monogatari 2 - and they're on the "LJ3x" PCBs.
That’s mean when we using « flash eprom » (with enough of space) , no need to use any special pinout mappers if we have enough of space on flash chip .
Other than that the canonical arrangement on disk bakes in the inversion of A23, so you must take the first 4MB and remainder N MB, pad that remainder up to 4MB, and then reverse the two halves.