Hyperbeatz - Rhythm Game

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

CardboardBox

Hyperbeatz - Rhythm Game

Post by CardboardBox »

Download:
hyperbeatz_v1.2.1.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
I've been working on this on & off since late December. It's a DDR-like rhythm game played with d-pad, A and B.
music_001.png
music_001.png (2.71 KiB) Viewed 12710 times
Features:
- 16 originally composed songs
- 3 difficulties per song
- 2 player support (press start on P2 controller in song selection screen to join)
- adjustable note scroll speed (press select on song selection screen to change)
- secret code to increase song speed (unlocked by beating the hardest chart)
- secred code to add scripted effects within songs (e.g. note palette changes, accelerating/decelerating notes, notes move side-to-side, screen shake)
- Adjustable audio offset to account for latency of different setups (e.g. when I play on Mesen, the audio feels about 4-5 frames late)
- Shows which charts have been cleared. (not saved through power cycles because of mapper 0)
- Fits on a 40KiB mapper 0 cart

Secret Codes (Highlight to view, or discover in-game by passing certain charts):
- Boost Mode: left right b b up down b b
- Wacky Mode: right b up b left b down b

Let me know what you think :D

Edit: Updated ROM with minor graphical changes.
Edit2: Implemented a secret code to unlock "Wacky Mode" which adds scripted effects, currently only implemented in the first 4 songs.
Edit3: Updated ROM with Wacky Mode implemented on all songs, scrolling song selection screen, adjustable audio offset.
Edit4: Updated ROM to save which charts have been cleared and let you quit the song by holding start.
Last edited by CardboardBox on Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 8 times in total.
gorghAgenda

Re: Hyperbeatz - Rhythm Game

Post by gorghAgenda »

seems very nice, could you please upload video on YT?
Rolypoly890

Post by Rolypoly890 »

Is there any reason why A/B still have arrows like the dpad directions, just different looking arrows? In the moment muscle memory makes it quite hard to distinguish between them so a lot of left/right gets mixed up with A/B.
Tuï

Post by Tuï »

love it! nice tunes
CardboardBox

Post by CardboardBox »

Rolypoly890 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:35 am Is there any reason why A/B still have arrows like the dpad directions, just different looking arrows? In the moment muscle memory makes it quite hard to distinguish between them so a lot of left/right gets mixed up with A/B.
I did some tweaking to note appearance and came up with this. When I originally tried putting letters on A & B buttons I found the letters were illegible when animated & in motion, but using darker colors with a white outline seems to fix that.

ROM is updated with this change.
Attachments
hyperbeatz_v1.0.1_001.png
calima

Post by calima »

Why are the colors of the same symbol changing? One symbol should always be one color, color-coding is an additional visual cue.

If the alternative appearance gives more points or whatever, display it with a thicker border, etc.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Traditionally in Dance Dance Revolution, red or orange means on the beat, and blue means on the eighth note.
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Well done!

Would be fun to include some songs for other homebrew games!
bhall408

Post by bhall408 »

This game is hot!

Love (and appreciate) that the music is all original.

Some feature requests..
- Would be nice to have visual indicator of which levels you have already completed (which works well with auto-save emulators)
- Similarly, perhaps a visual indicator for which ones have not been played at all (so 3 states, never played, never finished, finished at least once)

If you have not already done a video, I did see a request for that above. I could make a video with stereo sound if you like (the emulator I work on will pan the 5 channels across a spread).

Brian
CardboardBox

Post by CardboardBox »

bhall408 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:05 pm - Would be nice to have visual indicator of which levels you have already completed (which works well with auto-save emulators)
I added little green check marks next to charts you've completed. ROM is updated in original post.

Song selection screen also uses split scrolling now instead of having songs split between 2 pages.
song_select.PNG
I made a short video showing the game's features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZgQw-V6TM

I think this game is pretty much done now. There's very little cartridge space left, and while I could probably save a bit of space here & there I'm wanting to move on to other things.