Space Battle Stick - rare famicom controller rev-en

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

krzysiobal

Space Battle Stick - rare famicom controller rev-en

Post by krzysiobal »

Despite quite a lot of components inside, this just behaves as regular controller, using $4016.D1 or $4017.D1, depending on the switch position.
Four leds visualise the state of each D-PAD buttton.
A and B buttons have separate turbo generators, whose speed can be adjusted using potentiometer (or turned off completely to behave just like regular buttons, when potentiometer is in lefmost position)

More images: https://www.famicomworld.com/forum/inde ... ic=13637.0

BTW. I am really surprised how is that possible than half of the tracks on the PCB photo are clearly visible, while other half are almost not vissible at all.
Attachments
sch.png
back-labels.jpg
front.jpg
shell2.jpg
shell1.jpg
Pokun

Re: Space Battle Stick - rare famicom controller rev-en

Post by Pokun »

Heh, so the Bearings Monitor just indicates what joystick switches are actuated. Those graduation marks on the stick makes it almost look analogue as there are a lot of false directions for an 8-way joystick.

Anyway thanks for sharing the work!
Ben Boldt

Re: Space Battle Stick - rare famicom controller rev-en

Post by Ben Boldt »

krzysiobal wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:03 am BTW. I am really surprised how is that possible than half of the tracks on the PCB photo are clearly visible, while other half are almost not vissible at all.
I think I solved this strange puzzle after a lot of thinking. I think the visible ones got plated and the invisible ones stayed copper. Notice, the thin traces with drill holes (for electroplating) connect only the visible traces, and those are the same traces with connection to button contacts.