NES Calculator

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

wendelscardua

NES Calculator

Post by wendelscardua »

calculator.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
I've made a NES scientific calculator (after all, if the Nintendo Switch has a Calculator app, the NES deserves one too): https://wendelscardua.itch.io/nes-calculator
Bananmos

Re: NES Calculator

Post by Bananmos »

wendelscardua wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:02 pm Image

calculator.nes

I've made a NES scientific calculator (after all, if the Nintendo Switch has a Calculator app, the NES deserves one too): https://wendelscardua.itch.io/nes-calculator
Haha, nice one!

I wonder if this would make a good zapper program... if those buttons were on a black background you could potentially detect what exact key it is pointed at with no white screen flash, by flickering the right/bottom edge highlight at alternating frames, to detect in which direction the zapper went relative to the key.
(although the precision might not be good enough in practice, especially on smaller CRTs...)
puppydrum64

Post by puppydrum64 »

I would have arranged the trig functions like this:

SIN CSC
COS SEC
TAN COT

Makes more sense that way since the original is on the left and its reciprocal on the right.
wendelscardua

Post by wendelscardua »

puppydrum64 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:26 am I would have arranged the trig functions like this:

SIN CSC
COS SEC
TAN COT

Makes more sense that way since the original is on the left and its reciprocal on the right.
I preferred to pair them as {thing, co-thing}... But both options make way more sense than whatever they did on the Nintendo Switch Calculator:

puppydrum64

Post by puppydrum64 »

You're right that is terrible.

I saw you had Pi in your screenshot, any possibility of a pi button? Seems like it would be easy to do, just have it return a constant value like any other number key.
wendelscardua

Post by wendelscardua »

puppydrum64 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:49 pm I saw you had Pi in your screenshot, any possibility of a pi button? Seems like it would be easy to do, just have it return a constant value like any other number key.
It's not impossible... The "pressing a button to load a constant" part is very easy (and the code already has the constants), the only problem here is the button layout and how it was coded.

For now I've added your suggestion to the issue tracker (along with some other bugs and enhancements): https://github.com/wendelscardua/nes-calculator/issues
mario.gazziro

Post by mario.gazziro »

Ola Wendel

Posso usar a sua caculadora em um livro texto sobre videogames que será distribuido gratitamente nas FATECs e ETECs brasileiras ?

[]s
Mario
mario.gazziro

Post by mario.gazziro »

Hi Wendel

Can i use your NES calculator as example in a free brazilian e-book ?

[]s
Mario Gazziro (UFABC)
wendelscardua

Post by wendelscardua »

mario.gazziro wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:42 am Ola Wendel

Posso usar a sua caculadora em um livro texto sobre videogames que será distribuido gratitamente nas FATECs e ETECs brasileiras ?

[]s
Mario
Oi, desculpa a demora, eu só vi agora seu post. Mas pode sim (espero não estar respondendo muito tarde)
mario.gazziro

Post by mario.gazziro »

ah, esta em tempo sim. obrigado. vou citar vc no livro, eh claro. e pode acompanhar bt pela nossa pagina da universidade.
http://professor.ufabc.edu.br/~mario.ga ... jects.html