Windows 11 will be able to run Android apps

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

assemblyx69

Windows 11 will be able to run Android apps

Post by assemblyx69 »

https://androidcommunity.com/windows-11 ... -20210624/

Emudevs will become diverse now some will focus on PC only apps (.EXE) while others will become more practical to support the two OS (.APK) and make profit from both. But it looks like sideloading isn't possible yet so installing the APK will not work at all. Hoping Microsoft will remove that restriction in the future or some hackers will make a patch to bypass that specific feature of the OS.
tepples

Re: Windows 11 will be able to run Android apps

Post by tepples »

There needs to be some form of sideloading even if only so that app developers can test their apps before uploading them to Microsoft Store.
assemblyx69

Post by assemblyx69 »

True, that's obnoxious even if you only want to test a FREE app from a developer's website like github, etc. Or your own app that you made through NDK/SDK.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Sideloading is allowed. (Source: Tweet by Miguel de Icaza, via article by C. Scott Brown
, via Slashdot story.) The one requirement is that the application not depend on Google Play Services, which means most of what's on F-Droid will work.
assemblyx69

Post by assemblyx69 »

tepples wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:54 pm Sideloading is allowed
Thank you. Nice no need to patch anything now good to know.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

assemblyx69 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:41 amPC only apps (.EXE)
"PC only apps" and ".EXE" are not the same thing.

"PC" is a specific kind of computer, including x86 instruction set and PC BIOS. Different operating systems can run on them, some of which might run some .EXE programs.

".EXE" is a executable format for DOS, although other formats using the same filename extension will have a DOS stub followed by the other format data. This includes Windows, but also .NET which is portable and can run on computers other than a PC, as well as operating systems other than Windows.

Some operating systems (including Windows and Linux) can run on computers other than a PC. They may still be able to run .EXE files, although different ones since the instruction set is different (unless they are emulated or portable to multiple instruction sets)

(Although, there is also emulation, of course.)
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I think "PC" isn't really limited to x86 though, as it just means Personal Computer and could refer to any type of homecomputer including Macintosh and possibly also Android tablets and handheld personal computers. "PC" is commonly used by the IBM-PC line and compatible clones, but also by NEC's PC-6001, PC-8801, PC-Engine etc, the PowerPC microprocessor architecture (though the acronym might be different in this case) among others things.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

For good or ill, "PC" was defined by the "wintel" monopoly of the late 1990s and early 2000s to mean "A Microsoft product running on x86".
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I didn't know that. In the late 90's (at least in Sweden) "PC" was often mentioned in situations like "PC & Mac" (a computer magazine) and PC was indeed almost synonymous with the IBM-PC. But nowadays, when people say "PC" on the internet or anywhere, they seem to generally mean about any homecomputer though, and the x86 variant (no matter whether a Microsoft OS is used or not) is usually "IBM-PC clone" or "IBM-PC compatible" to avoid any confusion with other PCs.
tepples

Post by tepples »

To me, a small-p personal computer is any device such that the person who owns it controls what computing is done. This is contrasted with a computing device that employs substantial cryptographic restrictions against the device's owner on behalf of its manufacturer.

Since 2005, I guess the official term for descendants of the IBM Personal Computer 5150 is "Lenovo-compatible PC".
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

I think the product series IBM PC put some permanent mark in people's brain that whenever someone mentions 'PC' they relate it to a x86 computer with M$DOS or Windows O/S. Even though sometimes the supported platform is clearly marked on a software package like "This game is for IBM PC or compatibles" people would just simply refer this as a "PC" version, and say something like "PC and MAC versions are both available" (aren't MACs also PCs? especially after they moved to x86 architecture).

In fact strictly speaking PC just means Personal Computer so everything that looks like a computer enough and stays in one's home should be a PC (so the Sega SC-3000 is a computer but SG-1000 is just a console, for lacking a keyboard even though they're nearly identical, A Apple MAC is a PC but a Bandai Pipin @Mark is a console, a Family Computer is... well...).
For example this Japanese site groups everything considered a "computer" (i.e. not a console, a handheld console, or your smartphone) to be a PC.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah that's how I see it too. A Famicom is basically a PC once you connect the keyboard and BASIC to it. The PC-Engine never had its keyboard and native BASIC released so it's hardly a PC though. I guess it's mostly called PC to relate it to NEC's computer series.

On the other hand about every video game console since the PS2 has USB-keyboard and -mouse support.

Yeah in Japan saying things like "PC and Mac support" just causes confusion, since a Macintosh IS a type of PC, and "PC" is synonymous to "pasokon" (paasonarukonpyuuta) or even "maikon" (microcomputer or possibly my-computer as in a private computer). I guess that's one of the reasons people uses terms like "IBM-PC" more nowadays than in the late '90s and early 2010s to avoid confusion.