Back!

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Back!

Post by 93143 »

Well, that's a pleasant surprise. I really have missed this place.
Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 »

It is a early christmas miracle indeed that it is up yesterday on Dec. 4, 2021. Hope no more harm comes to these forums!!!
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Thank you so much, brizzo! And everyone else who has helped. I can be excited about using my web browser again, haha.

There wasn't much I could do from here, as I only had access to phpBB's admin control panel, and that doesn't allow for as much these days. It used to let you download the database, but they dropped that for security (instead, it uses a backup directory on the server - which I didn't have access too). I had not heard anything from the server admin, but I didn't make much of an effort to reach out, so that's not their fault. I don't know much about database programming, but looked into it anyways and was grateful that there are people who already know WTF they're doing.
brizzo
Site Admin

Post by brizzo »

Memblers wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:31 pm Thank you so much, brizzo! And everyone else who has helped. I can be excited about using my web browser again, haha.
Support crew through this endeavor has been Fiskbit and lidnariq!

Along with the missing data being restored, I have also purged the database of ~17,700 spam accounts and all related posts (both visible and hidden).

For the time being, it also appears the changes I have made are working to stop the spam problem. Within 20 minutes of first bringing the forum back online, 5 spam accounts were registered and they started posting. Since counter measures implemented, it has completely stopped :D

Next big item on the todo list is getting control of the dot com address. The plan is to no longer have just one single person left to control the fate of the community, but give access to a small number of trusted people to access configuration, daily backups, and domain registrar.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Oooh finally back! It's great to see everyone again.
Hooray for Brizzo, Fiskbit, Lidnariq and all other heroes who helped!
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Yes, extremely grateful to all involved in restoration (i.e brizzo) and joyful this grand forum people is back! 😀
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Just wanted to say it's great to have the forum back! It was weird going without it for several months... Thanks to everyone involved in bringing it back!
Drag

Post by Drag »

Thanks, everyone, for all of the hard work involved in bringing the forums back. My account was one of the ones that got deleted and it was so frustrating not being able to alert anyone about what was going on. :P
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

Glad to see the forums back alive!
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

That's great!!
Thank you, guys.
dink

Post by dink »

I really missed this place, so happy it's back!
Thanks brizzo, Fiskbit & lidnariq!!

best regards,
- dink
tepples

Post by tepples »

forums.nesdev.org uses a 301 permanent redirect from HTTP to HTTPS and gets an A from Qualys SSL Labs for not supporting versions of TLS prior to 1.2. I've emailed Nocash via the (obfuscated) address on his website to ask if he can still see it.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

Yes, this site is no longer usable from older browsers.
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

This is how I feel right now:
devmas

Post by devmas »

Glad to see it's back! I never really post here, but I've been visiting the forums every couple of weeks for a number of years.

I was afraid it'd be down forever / everyone would migrate to other forums, but nice to see everything back in order.