Regarding the 3-D graphics in some Rare games

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

k2i57off32

Regarding the 3-D graphics in some Rare games

Post by k2i57off32 »

Hello!

First of all, I'm terribly sorry if I've managed to post this on the wrong board.

Does anyone know how Rare made the 3-D-esque graphics in games like Cobra Triangle and R.C. Pro-Am?

I suppose that they made use of some kind of 3-D modelling software, however, I've been rather unsuccessful in finding any information whatsoever regarding it.
Pokun

Re: Regarding the 3-D graphics in some Rare games

Post by Pokun »

What do you mean? There are no 3D in any of those games as far as I remember. It's just plain isometric 2D that you can easily draw with a normal pencil and paper.
The physics in a game like Snake Rattle 'n' Roll uses a 3D space, but that just means that there is one extra axis to keep track of. The graphics are fully 2D.
pubby

Post by pubby »

They're curious how the sprites were made. It looks like a 3d modeler was used to create them as they are very precise regarding rotation.

I suppose they could have photographed toys at several angles, and used that as a reference instead.
k2i57off32

Post by k2i57off32 »

Yes, I meant how the sprites were made. Sorry for not being more specific about that!

The toy photography explanation sounds plausible. Anyway, whoever it was who worked on that definitely poured a lot of love and pride into it, I'd say.

Thanks!
Last edited by k2i57off32 on Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I see, yeah well toys sounds plausible. Freehand drawing doesn't sound unlikely to me either, but some kind of reference design is commonly used.

I never heard of Rare using any 3D-modelling until they got those ACM machines for creating the sprites for Donkey Kong Country, and they were supposedly very expensive and very slow to render.