Name of this game?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

MaskRomz

Name of this game?

Post by MaskRomz »

I found this nes cartridge with a broken eprom and after dump the .chr and .prg files, I used copyNESW to get a .nes rom and open on the emulator to find out the name of the game, but I can't. someone knows this game?

Dwedit

Re: Name of this game?

Post by Dwedit »

It's "Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu" by Joy Van (or Sachen), the Taiwanese title is "Dao Shuai".

Title screens:
Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu.png
Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu.png (9.93 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
Dao Shuai.png
Dao Shuai.png (9.79 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
MaskRomz

Post by MaskRomz »

"It's "Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu" by Joy Van (or Sachen), the Taiwanese title is "Dao Shuai"
thanks for the help. it will be very useful. I search informations about the pcb but I cant found anything. did you know this kind of pcb?
MaskRomz

Post by MaskRomz »

Dwedit wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:12 pm It's "Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu" by Joy Van (or Sachen), the Taiwanese title is "Dao Shuai".

Title screens:

Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu.png
Dao Shuai.png
thank you for the fast reply.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Canonically mapper 133, though for this game, mapper 079 world work as well, since it only has 32 KiB of PRG ROM. In fact, this Milmar board looks just like an AVE NINA-003/NINA-006 board.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Man, this game has such a weird mapper for what is basically a CNROM game. The Mapper 11 version was much simpler.

I've never seen a mapper with "Analog Feedback Bits" that must be written correctly or the mapper chip runs hot.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

You mean, the Sachen 3009 board with the strangely-wired Namco 108 clone? Yes, that was probably a dopey attempt at copy protection with built-in "chip burn-in" for dumpers that did not pay attention.
MaskRomz

Post by MaskRomz »

the pcb of the picture is from Silent Assault game (27c512), the pcb I have is Master Chu (27c256) the pcb's front side are exactly the same but I dont have the back side of the silent assault's pcb to check the differences. I want to put another game in this pcb but I dont know another compatible game, couse I dont have references of this pcb. any sugestions?
MaskRomz

Post by MaskRomz »

Dwedit wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:41 am Man, this game has such a weird mapper for what is basically a CNROM game. The Mapper 11 version was much simpler.

I've never seen a mapper with "Analog Feedback Bits" that must be written correctly or the mapper chip runs hot.
any CNROM game is compatible with this board?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

The mapper is not CNROM.
My comment was about how the actual requirements of the game (32K PRG, 32K CHR, CHR switched in 8K banks) could have worked as a CNROM game.
But this game is not compatible with CNROM as written.
MaskRomz

Post by MaskRomz »

Dwedit wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:18 pm The mapper is not CNROM.
My comment was about how the actual requirements of the game (32K PRG, 32K CHR, CHR switched in 8K banks) could have worked as a CNROM game.
But this game is not compatible with CNROM as written.
I'm trying to put another game on this pcb but I don't know where to start. I have installed two 28 pin socket to do same testes. any sugestions about a game that can fits on this pcb?
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

Here are all of the mapper 79 games in nescartdb:

https://nescartdb.com/search/advanced?i ... al&ines=79
MaskRomz

Post by MaskRomz »

Ben Boldt wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:15 pm Here are all of the mapper 79 games in nescartdb:

https://nescartdb.com/search/advanced?i ... al&ines=79
sorry my noob question, the game on the pcb is master chu (mapper 11) so why use mapper 79 instead mapper 11?
I found NINA-06 pcb very similar to Milmar's pcb but they use 74LS174 instead 74LS175, this can be a problem? maybe will be necessary same rewring stuff?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

US version of Master Chu is Mapper 11, Taiwanese version is either Mapper 133, or Mapper 79, same program works on both boards. That board seems to be Mapper 79, not 133.

But if you really wanted to mapper-hack a game to work on Mapper 79, I guess you could. To hack a CNROM game, you'd change the write address from 8000-FFFF to be 5F00 instead. Would need to fully playtest the game to verify that the mapper hack worked.
MaskRomz

Post by MaskRomz »

Ok, I will try some mapper 79 games. they are mostly on NINA-06 pcb that uses 74LS174 instead 74LS175, you think this will be a problem?