Free/Best video capture software

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

WedNESday

Free/Best video capture software

Post by WedNESday »

I've got my Famicom coming in 2 weeks time and I'm still on the lookout for some video capture software via the console's composite output.

Can anyone recommend some free (if not then paid for) software for Windows 10? The simpler the better. I don't need any advanced features like the ability to record and stuff. Just something that'll receive the signal and display it. Sound is also important.
Dwedit

Re: Free/Best video capture software

Post by Dwedit »

OBS can do everything, including display a live capture, but it's not "simple", and it's full of "advanced features". It's the program a Twitch streamer would use to broadcast or record their game.

Note that depending on your capture device, there may be latency, making capture unsuitable for the task of "Just playing a game using your PC as a screen"

The best results would be to have an old NTSC CRT TV next to your computer, but that's big and heavy.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

Beware: not all capture devices are compatible with the video signal that comes out of the NES/Famicom. Not sure how you can tell before buying something.

Typically video capture through an emulator gives better results, you might consider that instead if possible.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

What capture device are you using?
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

Not sure if you are asking me; I tried a Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge back in high school that didn’t work. Even if I first recorded the NES to a VHS tape with a VCR, it could not use the signal played back from the VCR either! I am not sure how common of a problem this is. I haven’t really tried anything else since then I guess.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

For simple stuff you can just Windows + G and select record from the capture bar up the top or Windows + ALT + R

For more intense stuff I use OBS
Hojo_Norem

Post by Hojo_Norem »

Media Player Classic's various forks (like HC or BE) can output from capture devices. Just configure it in the 'Capture' section in options then just 'File>Open device...'

Capture settings can then be found under 'View>Capture'
Insert witty sig. here...
WedNESday

Post by WedNESday »

tokumaru wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:25 pmWhat capture device are you using?
If it was me that you were referring to, then I bought a composite to USB cable that I'll plug into my laptop.

...Or will I need some kind of dedicated hardware? :!:
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

USB devices can be legitimate capture devices, but there is a wide range of quality. Hopefully you won't end up with junk with 250ms of lag and bad interlacing.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
WedNESday

Post by WedNESday »

Dwedit wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:26 pm USB devices can be legitimate capture devices, but there is a wide range of quality. Hopefully you won't end up with junk with 250ms of lag and bad interlacing.
This is what I bought. Does it still count?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/172944194488
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I hope that's a real capture device. I don't see an obvious place for the chip, but it could be hidden inside of the USB plug.

The speedrunners seem to like the "GV-USB2" device, but they bought it back when it was $20 cheaper.
WedNESday

Post by WedNESday »

Dwedit wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:01 pm I hope that's a real capture device. I don't see an obvious place for the chip, but it could be hidden inside of the USB plug.

The speedrunners seem to like the "GV-USB2" device, but they bought it back when it was $20 cheaper.
Well, I've got it in my hand right now and I don't believe the USB plug has anything 'extra' inside of it.

But it must have. Otherwise, what else would it be good for?

Edit: Holy cow. I never took the time to actually read the reviews for it on amazon. I just assumed that it would work. 80% of them say that it does absolutely nothing at all. :oops:
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I wonder if that is a breakout box made for one specific TV model that happens to hide the AV jacks inside a USB port?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I'm sorry, but that "adapter" is definitely not a video capture device... I wonder why anyone even bothers selling these... If there is any use for them at all, it probably involves some really obscure devices.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Also, the original Famicom has RF output, and no composite video.