SynthNes - An NES Synthesizer

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

avicr

SynthNes - An NES Synthesizer

Post by avicr »

What Is SynthNes?

SynthNes is a ROM that runs on an Everdrive N8 Pro flashcart, and an app that runs on a PC that can transform your NES into a MIDI-capable synthesizer.

Download: https://avicr.itch.io/synthnes
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcFibxMrLzA

Features
  • Control all five NES audio channels via MIDI or included virtual keyboard
  • Expandable by connecting more NES's
  • Easy to use PC interface
  • PDF manual
  • Modulation
  • Automation
  • Presets
  • Polyphonic operation
  • Unison mode
  • Animated graphics
  • Hidden surprises

Screenshots

SynthNesPreview.png
SynthNesApp.png

This project would not have gotten off the ground without the comprehensive NES documentation that NesDev maintains. Thanks guys.
pubby

Re: SynthNes - An NES Synthesizer

Post by pubby »

I've only watched the video, but that's really neat! I like how the little characters dance and sing with the music. Reminds me of some of rainwarrior's stuff.

Are you going to use it for a live show?
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Looks really nice, reminds me of Konami's Doremiko on the FDS.
For "some reasons" I didn't have the keyboard though, so all I could do was to change the instruments used (not that I can do anything with a keyboard as I can't play it) but being able to play an enhanced Gradius theme was quite great.
avicr

Post by avicr »

pubby wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:27 am I've only watched the video, but that's really neat! I like how the little characters dance and sing with the music. Reminds me of some of rainwarrior's stuff.

Are you going to use it for a live show?
Hey thanks! My girlfriend made the sprites and I think it gives SynthNes a sense of charm. It was a bit tricky to have the animations play without interfering with the timing of playing notes, but it was worth it in the end.

Unfortunately I don't play live shows with my electronic music (I'm really a guitarist) so I won't be using SynthNes live. I'd be very curious to see someone else perform with the system, though!

Gilbert wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:39 am Looks really nice, reminds me of Konami's Doremiko on the FDS.
For "some reasons" I didn't have the keyboard though, so all I could do was to change the instruments used (not that I can do anything with a keyboard as I can't play it) but being able to play an enhanced Gradius theme was quite great.
Oh wow, I've never seen this before. That's really cool!