Dragon Ball 3 Translation -- Bandai FCG-2

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
ednauseum

Dragon Ball 3 Translation -- Bandai FCG-2

Post by ednauseum »

Been reading these forums for a long time, just never needed to ask any questions before today. :D

I've been playing around with making translations from original donor boards (not to worry, I label & save the original ROMs for preservation, no permanent damage to any original board) with relatively good success.

However, tried my hand at Dragon Ball 3 Gokuden (Famicom) and am seeing some issues and hoping someone might be able to help me see what I am missing. At this point, the cart does not load until I hit the reset button. When it loads music sounds right, but the graphics are a mess.

CHR ROM is 32 pin 256KB and PRG ROM is 28 pin 128KB.

For the PRG ROM I am using 27C801 (this is the 28 pin socket on the board). I lifted pins 1, 2, 31, & 32 and pin 24. I soldered pins 30, 31 & 32 together and I soldered pin 2 (PRG A16) to hole 22 on the board (using this page https://seesaawiki.jp/famicomcartridge/d/Bandai%20FCG-2 I verified that hole 22 here is A16).

For the CHR ROM I am also using 27C801. I lifted pins 2 & 24. I soldered pin 2 to hole 24 (again, verified this with the page above that hole 24 was CHR A16 on the mapper) and then soldered pin 24 to pin/hole 16.

Initially I made no changes to the CHR ROM, and although it booted (after reset) it would hang after hitting the start button twice. After lifting pins 2 and 24 on the CRH TOM and wiring as noted above, the hang goes away, but everything is still a mess.

I have studied what I can find on the internet, and tried to due my due diligence to check the pin assignments but am a little lost now. Any thoughts here?
ednauseum

Re: Dragon Ball 3 Translation -- Bandai FCG-2

Post by ednauseum »

Reply to myself! I think this is solved, bad .NES file.

First, I realized that when I lifted pin 24 (/CE) on the CHR ROM I forgot to wire it to pin 16 (GND), so I guess the chip was only coming to life after reset. I fixed this and the game seems to operate "normally" now.

Unfortunately the graphics are all messed up still...however, I just tested the ROM (broke the first rule here - test, test, test...doh!) and the graphics are a mess in the emulator. They are better, but still flicker and overall do not look right...so I am going to take it that I have a bad image. :(

Finally, I think I also posted in the wrong section of the board here...I probably should have posted in: Board index --> NES / Famicom --> NES Hardware and Flash Equipment --> Reproduction
lidnariq

Re: Dragon Ball 3 Translation -- Bandai FCG-2

Post by lidnariq »

Moved to reproductions