Modding NES mini Chinese clone

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

skeletor

Modding NES mini Chinese clone

Post by skeletor »

is there a way to softmod this NES mini Chinese clone? I mean add some new games/delete the existing ones.
Attachments
25192251.png
25192250.jpg
Dwedit

Re: Modding NES mini Chinese clone

Post by Dwedit »

Is it a Nes-on-a-chip or an emulator console?

If it's a NES-on-a-chip, you'd need a way to get to the actual flash memory chip, and that won't happen without soldering.

If it's an emulator console, there might be a microsd card just sitting there.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
skeletor

Post by skeletor »

I believe it is a Nes-on-a-chip, one of my friends took one of those apart, and here's what's inside of it.
Attachments
IMG_7107.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG
gomibako

Post by gomibako »

skeletor wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:11 am I believe it is a Nes-on-a-chip, one of my friends took one of those apart, and here's what's inside of it.
Hi,
You would need to replace the content of the flash chip (main chip in the second photo). There are at the very least still two companies manufacturing NoACs in China. One of them is V.R. Technologies and chances are that it uses VT02S. You could give a try by dumping the flash, then trying to replace the content with a ROM generated using NES Maker (VTxx).
If that does not work on the console, then you would be on your own. I.e you will need to analyse the structure of the dump and find out how to replace existing games with others.
calima

Post by calima »

Yup, nes-on-chip. That's a 16mb NOR flash chip. There's a tiny chance it's programmable via usb, otherwise you need an external way to program it.

620 games in 16mb, pretty impressive ;)
The profit margin is also pretty impressive. That thing sells in China for 7.56$ in singles or 5.95$ qty 500, western shops quote 45$ after special discounts.

However the controllers seem to be compatible with an orig NES. Two new controllers for that price, even if China quality, is some impressive manufacturing still. They really can make a NES controller for less than 2$?

edit: Oh, an antenna too. Apparently a variant of this can support wireless controllers.
skeletor

Post by skeletor »

so are you guys saying that there is a chance to softmod it, right? ok, "You could give a try by dumping the flash..." how exactly do I do that?
calima

Post by calima »

1. Desolder the flash chip
2. Place the flash chip into a flash chip programmer
3. Set the programmer in read mode and press start
skeletor

Post by skeletor »

dude, that is way too extreme for me and isn't exactly what I would call a "softmod." Is there an easy way to do this? Like connecting it to a computer and flashing it with something using some "magic" software?
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

A softmod is only possible if it's an emulator, like the NES Mini. Since it's a NOAC clone there is no firmware to softmod.

Unless there is some way to reprogram the built-in multicartridge in-circuit.