The Top 500 NES Homebrews at RETRO

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

SethAbramson

The Top 500 NES Homebrews at RETRO

Post by SethAbramson »

Hi all! I hope it's okay to post this here. This is a different sort of "homebrew" project, in the sense that it's a meta-project—an attempt by an academic and journalist to catalogue the entirety of the #nesdev/NES2 scene via a single archive of data (Issue #4 of this archive has just gone up at https://retrostack.substack.com/p/the-t ... -vol-4?s=w).

The article is free, and it is... well, very long, as you'll see. There are nearly 25 categories in the taxonomy, dozens of visual notations, hundreds of links, countless sample videos and images, and much more. Hopefully the scope of this "homebrew project" will stand out for you, and I promise that it's not over! Many, many, many expansions are planned, and if it's okay, I'll post future updates in this thread. I really want to use RETRO to show the world the diversity and sheer scope of the work you all are doing.

My goal is to honor the amazing art of the #nesdev community, so I hope that, if you find this archive useful, you'll share it as widely as you can! :D

P.S. Suggestions for expansions or amendments are always welcome! I have been working with various devs and publishers and gamers to try to get this archive right, and much of what you're seeing is the result of proposals from inside the #nesdev community.
dink

Re: The Top 500 NES Homebrews at RETRO

Post by dink »

Page took a while to load, but when it did I can see why - there's a lot of good games to page through! :)
Thanks!

best regards,
- dink
SethAbramson

Post by SethAbramson »

Yes, it really has become a huge article! I suspect it is one of the largest at Substack by sheer size, which is why even when I try to edit it now things are just a bit slow (so many images, videos, and icons). So glad you checked it out, though! (And yes, there are some incredible gems in there—scores and scores of them! :D )
SethAbramson

Post by SethAbramson »

(UPDATE) Hi all! Today RETRO is launching what I hope will be a years-long project: The NES2 Hall of Fame. If you click the link below, you'll see that the voters for the NES2 HOF are... you all! The link provides simple, easy guidelines for voting, with all the information you need to understand what this project is about. I hope you'll not only participate but spread the word! A RETRO subscription is *not* required to participate; anyone in the world can vote for the NES2 HOF using the handful of quick guidelines at this link: https://retrostack.substack.com/p/the-n ... period?s=w
SethAbramson

Post by SethAbramson »

Just a quick follow-up to say that if you have any objection to Substack or using Substack and are willing to vote in this thread and let me post your slate of ten homebrews at RETRO using your name (this last part is important for record-keeping purposes), I'm okay with voters voting in this thread if the mods here are okay with it. I want to make the voting process for the NES2 HOF as democratic and easy as humanly possible, so everyone has a voice and feels heard. If it takes me manually transferring voting data over to Substack as a proxy, I'll do it! 😁

FWIW, I do know this group is about game development! My thinking—and I hope folks agree—is that having a free archive that links directly to the games hundreds of your peers around the world are making can be useful for game development/game developers. You never know when playing XenoCreeps, or MOMOC, or any of Rodney Most's incredible games, or Blob Quest, or Street Fighter Alpha Zero, or (&c &c) is going to be the spark of inspiration that you need on your own NES homebrew project. So feel free to post here what you consider to be the best ten NES homebrews, using the voting guidelines listed here: https://retrostack.substack.com/p/the-n ... period?s=w
SethAbramson

Post by SethAbramson »

The May 2022 edition of the RETRO Top 500 homebrews is up!!

It offers—for free—150+ new homebrew games (with links!), and a pretty momentous expansion of this RETRO project with the inclusion of both a "Ports" category (for NES2 remakes and demakes of non-third-generation games) and a "Hacks" category (but only, in terms of these rankings, for hacks that effectively create all-new homebrew games). Plus a bunch of other new stuff!

I recommend you check out the newly found old Morphcat game "Angry at Faces"—almost no one has played it, but now you can!—and Street Fighter Alpha Zero, just for a start. That'll give you a good sense of what this archive can offer: obscure finds, and stunning resurrections of NES games folks forgot about.

Anyway, I really hope you will check it out and share it with other gamers! I expect to continue releasing one new edition of this historical archive for free each month, usually with at least 50-100 new games and various project expansions.

Link: https://retrostack.substack.com/p/the-t ... -vol-5?s=w