Starting games with two controllers and a microphone

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

StickyChannel92

Starting games with two controllers and a microphone

Post by StickyChannel92 »

Hello! I'm new to nesdev.org!
I'm currently in a situation where I want to start a game, and I don't know if I'm supposed to push any buttons or use the microphone.

I'm also new to Apple Town Monogatari. I can only find 2 gameplay videos on YouTube and one is longer; the video, nor the description tell me how to start the game when this little girl is on the far right side of the screen. Any way on continuing from here?

I'm also not familiar with using a second controller with a microphone on FCEUX.
Dwedit

Re: Starting games with two controllers and a microphone

Post by Dwedit »

This is the game crashing while running in FCEUX. There's some kind of emulation bug happening here. It has nothing to do with accessories, or special ways to start the game. Merely, the game just crashed.

Try another emulator. It seems to work fine in Mesen, but that emulator can be slow. Try VirtuaNES for now, seems to work fine there.

Also, the entire opening animation is waiting for you to switch the disk to Side B while that animation is playing.

I just sent a bug report in for FCEUX
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
StickyChannel92

Post by StickyChannel92 »

Thanks for the help! Since I can't use fceux, I use Mesen for other NES games, but when I try to play FDS games using a downloaded disksys.rom file, the game runs about 400% faster. Slowing down emulation doesn't affect the game whatsoever (BTW, if you're wondering, there is no setting I can find to change the disksys ROM), so I will have to play this in VirtuaNES.

Since I'm loading it in another emulator (VirtuaNES), what does this screen mean?
Last edited by StickyChannel92 on Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe

Post by Joe »

オマチクダサイ

"Please wait"
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Which emulator you use when you start this game for the first time greatly affects the rest of the game since it uses uninitialized memory to randomize the girl's name. Many emulators zeroes all RAM at reset which in this game means that the girl's name will always be "Cathy" in a new game instead of one of many different names. This should work correctly in Mesen if you choose the Default power on state for RAM to be random in the Emulation options.

I don't get why Mesen doesn't work though, FDS works fine for me. You could try resetting all options I guess.

If Mesen doesn't work, you could try Nintendulator NRS which is also very accurate and should also have a randomize RAM option.