Utilizing Game Maker for 2D Online Multiplayer

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Jedi QuestMaster

Utilizing Game Maker for 2D Online Multiplayer

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

So I've used GameMaker 5.0 ever since it came out and never upgraded, but now I'd like to make an NES-like game for desktop up to four players with online (UDP) support.

My go to would have been Game Maker Studio 2. However, Yoyo Games decided to go full Adobe and now only sells limited time subscriptions.

My next go to would be to get the Steam Bundle but I have many concerns about that:
• do I need to be online at all times, or just to export my game?
• will the game only run on steam?
• is this the latest GameMaker?
• can I upgrade?

Is there other software you recommend? (I'm using Windows 7 64-bit)
Last edited by Jedi QuestMaster on Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oziphantom

Re: Looking for a 2D Game-Creating Software for Online Multiplayer

Post by Oziphantom »

The Steam version is the last perpetual license version as far as I know. It should at least be 2.3 which is what you want 2.3 is actually half way decent. You need to be singed into your GoGo account at all times when using it.
I'm sure they will happily let you upgrade to the subscription based model.
Catyak

Post by Catyak »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:42 pm • do I need to be online at all times, or just to export my game?
With the regular "non-steam" version, you can allegedly use the program offline for up to 4 weeks (per ). The Steam version allegedly requires that the program is launched from Steam while it is in online mode, which means that it was launched from Steam with an internet connection. Regardless, the program doesn't require a constant internet connection, only that you have one on launch, including first launch.
Jedi QuestMaster wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:42 pm• will the game only run on steam?
The exported game isn't tied to Steam. (unless you optionally enable Steamworks API integration, which isn't even included by default anymore) As for the program itself, a Steam license can be used to activate the regular version if you link it to a YYG (soon to become gamemaker.io) account. I'd note that YYG claims on one of the support pages that "you can't buy GM:S2 from steam anymore", but if so, given that you can still buy it from steam, and that many months have passed since YYG implemented the subscription model (in other words, if they wanted to remove it from sale, they could've), I think it still works. I still that the first thing you should do after buying (and launching) the Steam version is linking your YYG account with your Steam account, and downloading and installing the non-steam version and seeing if you can export games from the non-steam version. (the free version of GM:S2 doesn't support exporting games)
Jedi QuestMaster wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:42 pm • is this the latest GameMaker?
For the moment, yes. I have heard claims that YYG plans on only releasing updates for the subscription version at some point in the future, but it isn't clear if that point would be GM:S3 or if that point would be, say, GM:S2 version 2.5. Regardless the engine should still work mostly fine even if they discontinue updates for the non-subscription version.
Jedi QuestMaster wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:42 pm• can I upgrade?
If you mean "can I import my project from GM5 into GM:S2", the answer is not directly. Studio 2 only imports project files from Studio 1. Studio 1 can import projects from older versions of GM, but Studio 1 is no longer sold, so you need to do something like, send the project to someone who has Studio 1. (I do have a copy, and would be willing to help) Even then, the code likely has to be tweaked to account for obsolete functions, but that's relatively easy. (the most notable obsolete API is the old multiplayer API) I'm assuming you were aware of the last part.

TL;DR Technically yes, but it's inconvenient.

As for recommendations for other engines, Godot has a networking API which supports UDP as a protocol by default. It also is supposed to run on Windows 7. (assuming your graphics drivers support reasonably modern OpenGL, which main rules out some fairly old Intel iGPU drivers)
Jedi QuestMaster

Oziphantom wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:47 pm The Steam version is the last perpetual license version as far as I know. It should at least be 2.3 which is what you want 2.3 is actually half way decent. You need to be singed into your GoGo account at all times when using it.
I'm sure they will happily let you upgrade to the subscription based model.
Sure beats the heck out of GM5.0.
Catyak wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:56 pm With the regular "non-steam" version, you can allegedly use the program offline for up to 4 weeks (per ). The Steam version allegedly requires that the program is launched from Steam while it is in online mode, which means that it was launched from Steam with an internet connection. Regardless, the program doesn't require a constant internet connection, only that you have one on launch, including first launch.
So I need to login to Steam and then Yoyogames? Beats having to pay every month for eternity.
Catyak wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:56 pmThe exported game isn't tied to Steam. (unless you optionally enable Steamworks API integration, which isn't even included by default anymore) As for the program itself, a Steam license can be used to activate the regular version if you link it to a YYG (soon to become gamemaker.io) account. I'd note that YYG claims on one of the support pages that "you can't buy GM:S2 from steam anymore", but if so, given that you can still buy it from steam, and that many months have passed since YYG implemented the subscription model (in other words, if they wanted to remove it from sale, they could've), I think it still works. I still that the first thing you should do after buying (and launching) the Steam version is linking your YYG account with your Steam account, and downloading and installing the non-steam version and seeing if you can export games from the non-steam version. (the free version of GM:S2 doesn't support exporting games)
Edit: I see what you mean. I'll try that ASAP. I hope it works. I noticed Steam takes quite a chunk of RAM on this old PC.
Catyak wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:56 pmFor the moment, yes. I have heard claims that YYG plans on only releasing updates for the subscription version at some point in the future, but it isn't clear if that point would be GM:S3 or if that point would be, say, GM:S2 version 2.5. Regardless the engine should still work mostly fine even if they discontinue updates for the non-subscription version.
I haven't used Steam before. Can Steam or the game dev completely remove a game/product and its features even if users had already bought it?

Catyak wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:56 pmIf you mean "can I import my project from GM5 into GM:S2", the answer is not directly.
Oh no. I didn't mean that. I already plan on recoding my work on Studio 2 (I didn't like some of it anyway). I was just wondering if there was a shred of hope that Steam buyers weren't getting left in the dust, but seeing as I've been stuck with GM5 for the last 15? years, I think I'll be fine with this for awhile.
Catyak wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:56 pmAs for recommendations for other engines, Godot has a networking API which supports UDP as a protocol by default. It also is supposed to run on Windows 7. (assuming your graphics drivers support reasonably modern OpenGL, which main rules out some fairly old Intel iGPU drivers)
I don't even have a graphics card. Anyway, I've looked through GMStudio 2's interface and code structure and it all looks satisfactory. My two biggest issues are 1) my screen size is small and scrolling is annoying, but 2) having to organize my assets myself is really weird (I have to drag my sprites into the "sprites" tab?) Otherwise I'd have to search my sprites by name? What the hell kinda feature is dat? :evil:

Thanks for the help.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

every PC has a graphics card, it might be "on board" but you do have one. There is no graphics output with one.

GM 2.3 is miles better than anything before it, you can now have multiple functions in a single file! How anybody shipped a working game in 1.x is beyond me personally.
Jedi QuestMaster

Oziphantom wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:17 am every PC has a graphics card, it might be "on board" but you do have one. There is no graphics output with one.
Oh, I misread that. I skimmed and saw "graphics" and "GPU" and didn't realize you said drivers.
Oziphantom wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:17 amGM 2.3 is miles better than anything before it, you can now have multiple functions in a single file! How anybody shipped a working game in 1.x is beyond me personally.
I don't know what you mean by "multiple functions in a single file."

Anyway, I have GMStudio 2 Creator for a year subscription from the Humble Bundle pack, so I followed the instructions and entered the key on the website, but how do I know it's working? I don't see anything saying "Licensed to" or how long I have left.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

I don't have a timed license so not sure but I would assume it would be on the main dashboard where you start/open projects

old 1.x GM each script was its own file. Now you can do
this is my unithelper.gml

Code: Select all

// Script assets have changed for v2.3.0 see
// https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005277377 for more information

function unithelper_getActiveUnitInfoData(inst)
{
	if( inst.team == eUnitTeam.enemy )
	{
		return global.unitInfoData.enemyUnitData[inst.unitType][inst.level]; //mapped units should be fixed level
	}
	return global.unitInfoData.playerUnitData[inst.unitType][0]; // player units will always be 0 with "chosen extras"
}

function unithelper_getMaxHP(inst)
{
	return unithelper_getActiveUnitInfoData(inst).hp+inst.extraStats.HP;
}

function unithelper_getStrength(inst)
{
	return unithelper_getActiveUnitInfoData(inst).strength+inst.extraStats.Strength;
}

function unithelper_getSkill(inst)
{
	return unithelper_getActiveUnitInfoData(inst).skill+inst.extraStats.Skill;
}

function unithelper_getSpeed(inst)
{
	return unithelper_getActiveUnitInfoData(inst).speed+inst.extraStats.Speed;
}

function unithelper_getLuck(inst)
{
	return unithelper_getActiveUnitInfoData(inst).luck+inst.extraStats.Luck;
}

function unithelper_getDefense(inst)
{
	return unithelper_getActiveUnitInfoData(inst).defense+inst.extraStats.Defense;
}

function unithelper_getMoveDistance(inst)
{
	var distance = unithelper_getActiveUnitInfoData(inst).moveDistance+inst.extraStats.MoveDistance;
	distance -= (global.gameMovementScale-1);
	if( distance < 2 )
	{
		distance = 2;
	}
	return distance;
}

function unithelper_addHp(inst, delta)
{
	inst.extraStats.HP += delta;
}

function unithelper_addStrength(inst, delta)
{
	inst.extraStats.Strength += delta;
}

function unithelper_addSkill(inst, delta)
{
	inst.extraStats.Skill += delta;
}

function unithelper_addSpeed(inst, delta)
{
	inst.extraStats.Speed += delta;
}

function unithelper_addLuck(inst, delta)
{
	inst.extraStats.Luck += delta;
}

function unithelper_addDefense(inst, delta)
{
	inst.extraStats.Defense += delta;
}

function unithelper_getWeaponMaxRange(weaponInfo)
{
	var distance = weaponInfo.maxRange;
	if (distance > 2)
	{
		 distance /= global.gameMovementScale;
	}
	return distance;
}
where as in 1.x each function would have to be its own file.
Catyak

Post by Catyak »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:51 pm Anyway, I have GMStudio 2 Creator for a year subscription from the Humble Bundle pack, so I followed the instructions and entered the key on the website, but how do I know it's working? I don't see anything saying "Licensed to" or how long I have left.
If the target menu (accessed with crosshair symbol near the top right of the window) lists platforms other than "Test" or "Opera GX", your license is activated. YYG expects you to manage subscriptions, including subscription time, from their website using the account page. There's a menu link to that page, under File > My Account.
Jedi QuestMaster

Catyak wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:10 pmIf the target menu lists platforms other than "Test" or "Opera GX", your license is activated.
I see Opera GX, Windows, MacOS, Ubuntu... it looks like it's registered, and I was able to export a .EXE.

That means it's all good, right? :beer: :D
Catyak

Post by Catyak »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:21 pm
Catyak wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:10 pmIf the target menu lists platforms other than "Test" or "Opera GX", your license is activated.
I see Opera GX, Windows, MacOS, Ubuntu... it looks like it's registered, and I was able to export a .EXE.

That means it's all good, right? :beer: :D
Yeah.
Jedi QuestMaster

Okay, now I've got another problem: it seems GM Studio 2 has way too many compatibility issues with extensions created for GM Studio 1.4, in particular, the Chiptune Player: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/asset ... une-player

I followed the documentation and inspected the demo, but no matter what I do, I can't get this to play any sound. There doesn't seem to be another NSF player in the Yoyogames Marketplace.

Has anyone gotten this to work? Can anyone troubleshoot this issue?

Or is anyone familiar enough with creating extensions that'd be willing to work for me and create a new one?
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

In worst case I guess you could always convert the chiptunes to WAV files. But it will probably involve some work to get the loop points to work correctly.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

my pc crashed so I don't have access to Game Maker at the moment.

However yeah what Poken said, just convert to MP3 etc unless you are trying to do some dynamic engine control, at which point use a MIDI system.
Catyak

Post by Catyak »

Oziphantom wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:07 pm my pc crashed so I don't have access to Game Maker at the moment.

However yeah what Poken said, just convert to MP3 etc unless you are trying to do some dynamic engine control, at which point use a MIDI system.
Both GMS1 and GMS2 lack native support for (general) MIDI, and I'm not really aware of any good extensions for that.
Jedi QuestMaster

Oziphantom wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:07 pmHowever yeah what Poken said, just convert to MP3 etc unless you are trying to do some dynamic engine control
I have a couple of unique features going on:

1. The map screens will utilize the Yoshi's Island method of adding instruments (and even measures) the further the player progresses.
2. In-game stages will utilize the Balloon Fight method of using snippets of music cues in place of sound effects, but at the same time I want there to be a basic triangle bass and noise beat playing the whole time.