Montezuma's Revenge for the NES

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

DarkKodKod

Montezuma's Revenge for the NES

Post by DarkKodKod »

Four years ago I started learning about nes development and I just needed a project to put in practice the knowledge. So I talked to Robert Jaeger, the creator of montezuma's revenge for the atari and I offered him to port his game to the NES. I'm not a newbie, I have more that 15 years of professional game development, but I know this is completely different.

I made my own tools and I started with nerdy nights and years later I wrote the entire game from scratch including the music engine. Why the music engine?
Because the entire game is written for the NROM. The idea was to use the same tech as it was at the time the game was popular. So I fitted 100 rooms in 9 pyramids with enemies including the music and sound effects in 40k.

Here is a link to the tool I made for this project or in theory for any project because I wanted something to handle the assets for me and not the logic.

https://github.com/DarkKodKod/NESTool

Finally I have fulfilled my dream and I made a NES game and here is the kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/34 ... s-revenge/

Here is a video from John Hancock with gameplay: https://youtu.be/G_1yIsvxEQ4

I'm really proud of how I ended up structuring the source code because code organization is the least thing you can find online so I came out with my own way and my asset tool helps out a lot with that.
Also the tile animation system. For a NROM game I needed a lot of animated tiles and I did this by updating a few on each frame so at 60fps it doesn't look bad.

Thanks to the community for the support and for having this amazing site and forum with everything you need on a reachable level.
Bregalad

Re: Montezuma's Revenge for the NES

Post by Bregalad »

Congratulations on this great achievement !
I remember my brother playing this on the C64 when I was a kid. I liked the game. Great to see this coming to the NES. Even though the graphics could probably be improved to be more NES-like.

I think you did great with the animation system, it should have been though with the limited VBlank time of the NES.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
DarkKodKod

Post by DarkKodKod »

Bregalad wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:23 am Congratulations on this great achievement !
I remember my brother playing this on the C64 when I was a kid. I liked the game. Great to see this coming to the NES. Even though the graphics could probably be improved to be more NES-like.

I think you did great with the animation system, it should have been though with the limited VBlank time of the NES.
Thanks. The idea was to keep everything the same as the original atari version. Robert Jaeger, really like these graphics and he thinks they look cool on the NES as well.
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Those tools look really impressive! Hope to dig into it more at some point.