SNES games without disabled overscan (240 lines)

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Pokun

Re: SNES games without disabled overscan (240 lines)

Post by Pokun »

Ah I see! I probably got the number 312 from the total number of scanlines of a PAL frame and got it mixed up enough to think it was for the active display. That makes sense, thanks a lot!

So the PAL SNES resolution is no different from the NTSC systems after all. The extra amount of scanlines for PAL is probably because the frame-rate is slower at 50 Hz meaning more vblank time.

I think it was different on the Mega Drive where the PAL systems actually has a taller active display resolution at 240 lines vs the NTSC 224 lines, perhaps to make vblank time similar for both.

rainwarrior wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:46 am (I also think the picture might be vertically offset so it's more centred, unlike the NES, but I'm not sure?)
My SFC is very off-center (too much to the left IIRC) when I use it with a PAL TV using RGB, but I suppose that is because of the small difference in hsync timing between NTSC and PAL TV-sets. It's not off-center at all when using RGB with my hybrid NTSC/PAL CRT which saves individual settings for NTSC and PAL. Not sure how it can detect that the RGB signal uses the NTSC type of hsync.