nesdev.com down

Report broken links, improper HTML, or formatting issues here.

Moderator: Moderators

calima

nesdev.com down

Post by calima »

The .com address is down, .org still works.
Quietust

Re: nesdev.com down

Post by Quietust »

The fact that nesdev.com is currently offline is effectively just a reminder of the reason why we moved to nesdev.org in the first place. There shouldn't be any actual content on that site that hasn't already been migrated, just a redirect for any people who haven't yet found their way here.

On a side note, we should probably remove "nesdev.com" from the phpBB logo.
Last edited by Quietust on Tue May 17, 2022 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Well, it could be removed. Just been used to see it all those years that it would feel odd a little bit though.
calima

Post by calima »

I haven't bothered to update my bookmark, so of course I immediately notice if the .com doesn't work :P
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

nesdev.com is unfortunately not owned by us, so there's nothing we can do in this situation other than reach out again to the owner and hope we get a response. (We do have contact information and have interacted before, so please don't try to track him down and nag him.)

It definitely feels unlikely at this point that we'll get the domain, so we probably should start scrubbing .com from the site, yeah.
Drag

Post by Drag »

I think the best we could do is, if we could obtain the domain registration for nesdev.com, we could change it into a redirect to nesdev.org. We wouldn't be acquiring any new servers or anything, we'd just simply be acquiring the domain. That'd also solve the dead-link problem, since all of those old URLs still work fine if you change .com to .org.

Keep in mind, there's a bunch of time restrictions on transferring domain ownership, so the process itself takes a few weeks of just waiting for things to unlock once you initiate it. Still, I think this is something we ultimately need to do, because it'd be much worse if the registration for nesdev.com expired and fell to squatters, and believe me, they're going to be eyeing it given how established the domain name already is.

Edit: I haven't used the .com domain since we moved to .org, so I didn't know there was a redirect already in place. :P Still, I think we should get the domain ownership and point it here, and set up the redirect on this host instead of the old one.
Last edited by Drag on Tue May 17, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

That's how we've had it configured since reopening the site. We had hopes of getting the domain for a while and switching back to it as the primary one, so we held off on having the .org domain indexed for search, but finally pulled the trigger on that recently. At this point, I suspect .org will be the primary domain even if we do end up owning .com.
Drag

Post by Drag »

That's fine, no matter what the case is, we'd still need to have both TLDs. :P

Related, nesdev.net expires in October this year. ;)
calima

Post by calima »

.com is down again. Gonna bother to update my bookmark this time.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Drag wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:44 am Related, nesdev.net expires in October this year. ;)
I'm the owner of nesdev.net. brizzo and I had discussions about what to do with this domain circa August 2021 (around the time the .com ordeal went down), but I haven't heard anything since. It doesn't expire until September 2023, but I have transferred it from registrar X to registrar Y at least once, which requires a renewal (hence why it's expiring September 2023 rather than 2022).

Do not worry about nesdev.net falling into the wrong hands. Much like the Parodius domains, I will not let that happen.

I just logged in to the forum for the first time in a zillion years (don't expect me to be around here though; Discord DM or Email is easier) and saw this thread, and realised I had not set up an HTTP/HTTPS redirect for nesdev.net to its .org counterpart. I took care of that today.

If the community wants nesdev.net transferred to someone else, no problem -- happy to approve (provide auth code, etc.).

If the community want me to keep holding onto it, I'm fine with that too. If there are unique DNS records required, tell me what they should be and I'll set them up (please be sure, whoever runs the HTTP server, that you have all of your virtual hosting set up correctly for this in advance). If someone in the community want to control the DNS but not own the domain (i.e. I keep paying for it but don't really manage it), tell me what NS records to use and I'll set them.

Otherwise, my plan is come mid-2023 to transfer the domain from Google to Cloudflare (where I'm gradually moving all my things), which will renew it for another year (ICANN requirement).

I do not have control/ownership of nesdev.com. Community already knows what the status of that is, so no need for me to cover that.

TL;DR -- I own nesdev.net and am more than happy to do with it whatever the community wants.