Onyx: A Text Adventure

Moderator: Moderators

calima

Re: Onyx: A Text Adventure

Post by calima »

Isn't a 1937 story already public domain? If so it'd be fine to use and/or adapt. (that is, the compo cares about legality mainly)
qbradq

Post by qbradq »

The story was republished in the 40s and the copyright renewed in the 70s for a play adaptation. So as far as I understand it is still a copyrighten work. But I'm no lawyer.

So ill keep looking for ideas.
qbradq

Post by qbradq »

Onyx is now ready for demo. I intend to replace the story so I'm mainly looking for feedback on the program's usability and look-and-feel. That said I'm open to any criticisms about the story.

The demo is in the first post.
Dacicus

Post by Dacicus »

I like the greying out of invalid movement options. One of the background color choices did conflict with the greyed out text, though. Just wondering: Are you planning to make a puzzle of some sort that requires changing the background color?
qbradq

Post by qbradq »

I did notice the one background color that clashes with the grey. There are no plans for integrating the background color into the game. It's just there to provide an option because my wife didn't like the blue :D
gravelstudios

Post by gravelstudios »

I like the idea of a text based adventure on NES. I think it's a really interesting departure from what you would normally see on the system.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah at least in English, there's plenty of (graphical) adventures in Japanese.
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Not sure where you got with this Pokum, but don't forget to get it submitted on itch this weekend if you want it in the compo!