Reason for deletion review

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

jeffythedragonslayer

Reason for deletion review

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

I just recently created a page called "OAM ASCII Table" on the SNES dev wiki and gave someone a link to it over discord, only to be greeted with this:
This page is requested for deletion review by a moderator.
At first, I thought someone here had it out for me (I have had too many negative experiences at other wikis) but I quickly realized that the content had simply been moved to a new page called "OAM layout." If you move (rename) a page in MediaWiki, it considers it a different page.

https://snes.nesdev.org/wiki/OAM_layout

I suggest adding a "reason" field to the MediaWiki software that is appended to this deletion review request so that in the future wiki editors are not flabbergasted by this message.
rainwarrior

Re: Reason for deletion review

Post by rainwarrior »

If you check the history for a page it'd tell you exactly who put that there, and ask them directly. In this case it was me. I'll respond here since you asked here, though.

I do like your table, I just thought the name "ascii" was confusing. I was expecting something to do with encoding the ASCII set in OAM.

As for the deletion requests, I just didn't think we should keep the redirects around because I don't think anyone would seek the page by the original name. I also gave this reason in the page history, so I'd recommend checking there first.

There is no automated deletion review process provided by MediaWiki. I decided to use it as an opportunity to test out how convenient it is to have a {{delete}} template to flag it. Wikipedia has a 1000 ton version of the same template and rigorous process, etc., I just made this template quickly to serve the purpose we have. We don't need a review panel and waiting period for this, I think a moderator can just check the history for the reason, or just evaluate it themself.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

rainwarrior wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:16 pm As for the deletion requests, I just didn't think we should keep the redirects around because I don't think anyone would seek the page by the original name.
Doesn't MediaWiki have an option to not leave a redirect behind when moving a page?

Edit: apparently, you need to have sufficient privileges in order for that option to be available - normal users can still move pages, but they cannot suppress the redirect.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Quietust wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:18 pm
rainwarrior wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:16 pm As for the deletion requests, I just didn't think we should keep the redirects around because I don't think anyone would seek the page by the original name.
Doesn't MediaWiki have an option to not leave a redirect behind when moving a page?
I believe it only has that if you're a moderator?

Though in this case there was a second prior redirect that I was also trying to get cleaned up.
jeffythedragonslayer

Out of curiosity, how did discord get ahold of the deletion template in order to show it to me in the hyperlink preview?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I dunno. I guess it didn't follow the redirect when generating a preview?
jeffythedragonslayer

I did a little experiment on the N64brew.dev wiki on a redirect I created. I tried doing a wget of this page:

https://n64brew.dev/wiki/MI

and received the contents of this page back:

https://n64brew.dev/wiki/MIPS_Interface

but the filename was simply "MI" - wget did not get this page: https://n64brew.dev/w/index.php?title=MI&redirect=no

When I learned HTML in middle school, we learned to create a redirect involves creating a small redirect page that contains the target URL in a special tag, which tells the browser to request the target page. I suspect on websites designed for more sophisticated webservers, the webserver simply returns the HTML for the target page and instructs the browser to change which URL it has in the address bar. Since discord apparently did not follow the redirect, it sounds like MediaWiki webserver is of the less sophisticated variety. But with wget, it sounds like it is the more sophisticated variety. I dunno.

That's about all I want to mess with MediaWiki tonight though.