Identifying regions of PPU die photo

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
jeffythedragonslayer

Identifying regions of PPU die photo

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

I wanted to open this discussion because I was inspired by this image (https://static.miraheze.org/n64wiki/e/e ... capped.jpg) to do some similar rectangular boxes and labels for the SNES PPUs.

Using these source images (http://www.siliconpr0n.org/map/nintendo/ and specifically, nintendo_s-ppu1-5c77_mz_ns20x.jpg and nintendo_s-ppu2-5c78-01_mz_mit20x.jpg) I have color-coded rectangular sections and numbered them on the die shots. 93143 has pointed out that the S-PPU has not been reverse engineered from a decap yet (viewtopic.php?p=279451#p279451,) though I am curious if anyone at least knows what any of these rectangular sections do at a high level.

PPU1-with-boxes.jpg
PPU2-with-boxes.jpg

At first glance, it looks like S-PPU2 is a lot simpler than S-PPU1. I think there is value in having some high level idea of what these chips do and where physically that is implemented in hardware as it sounds like decapping is hard to do, and it will clear up a lot of confusion (for example, when you can visually see that OAM is on a separate chip than the CPU it makes sense why you have to access it through OAMDATA).

Perhaps we can figure out some sections from the schematic: https://wiki.superfamicom.org/uploads/s ... _color.png

Also, if there is a better name than "rectangular sections" I definitely want to know it.
Last edited by jeffythedragonslayer on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
psycopathicteen

Re: Identifying PPU rectangular sections

Post by psycopathicteen »

1 and 2 are OAM
5 and 6 are line buffer
15 is color palette
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

Based on jwdonal's pinouts (PPU1, PPU2) I added the bond wire labels (see attachment) for PPU1.
Attachments
PPU1 pinout.pdf
(294.09 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
jeffythedragonslayer

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

That'll be a good help creaothceann. Psychopathicteen, I'm curious how you figured those ones out.
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

Someone took a look at the die shots here.
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

jeffythedragonslayer wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:34 am Also, if there is a better name than "rectangular sections" I definitely want to know it.
Regions

12 and 17 look like registers.

10 is probably combining sprite + layer
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

Any idea what most of PPU2 could be? There are 13 darker horizontal stripes and 2.5 vertical ones - perhaps shift registers for the tiles, and the white areas inbetween might (also) do bitplane conversion.
jeffythedragonslayer wrote:I am curious if anyone at least knows what any of these rectangular sections do at a high level
PPU1 probably does most of the "input" - horz/vert. counters; deciding which sprites and tiles are to be drawn; controlling access to OAM; probably processing the rough background scrolling (in 8-pixel units).

PPU2 does the analog output, including the brightness control of register $2100; loading the tiles from VRAM; controlling access to CGRAM; storing the Color Constant, subscreen pixel; do windows and color math; probably the fine background scrolling; most of register $2133. PPU2 might also do the Mode7 matrix calculations, and control the CPU's access to VRAM.

I think I read somewhere that one PPU does the horizontal mosaic and the other does the vertical mosaic functionality.

EDIT:
anomie wrote:The PPU chips also each have their own MDR, which is updated only when said PPU chip is read. When you read a register with unmapped bits, the PPU fills in only those bits that are defined and leaves the remaining bits as the MDR has them. PPU1's MDR is set by reading $2134-6 or $2138-A, and may also be read from the write-only registers $21x4-6 and $21x8-A (x=0-2). PPU2 involves registers $213B-D only (and maybe $21xB-D, but this is unverified).
My current setup:
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

I finished the drawing, it now has proper labels for PPU1 and PPU2, plus the areas for OAM (lower table), line buffers, CGRAM and DAC.

Downloads: PDF PNG project files
SNES PPU pinouts v1.0 - attachment.png
My current setup: