Moving pages to snes.nesdev.org subdomain

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

jeffythedragonslayer

Moving pages to snes.nesdev.org subdomain

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

lidnariq

Re: Moving pages to snes.nesdev.org subdomain

Post by lidnariq »

The first and fourth are on the NES wiki because of homebrew using them.

I suspect that the two wikis are different DB under the hood, so a formal move may not be possible.
jeffythedragonslayer

There are people who use SNES peripherals on the NES? :shock:
Drag

Post by Drag »

The pages on the NesDev wiki specifically discuss these peripherals from the perspective of using them with NES, and probably aren't meant to function as the "official" reference for using these devices on their native console. In particular, the page for the SNES mouse specifically outlines some important caveats and considerations for using the mouse on the NES, information which wouldn't apply to the SNES and therefore wouldn't make sense to have on the SnesDev wiki.

So, while I agree that the SnesDev wiki should have their own articles on the SNES's native input peripherals, and should be considered the "owner" of the information of how these peripherals work when used on their native console, I disagree about outright deleting the corresponding reference materials from the NesDev wiki.
jeffythedragonslayer wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:53 pm There are people who use SNES peripherals on the NES? :shock:
Yes, and I would kindly ask the SnesDev community in general to please be more familiar with their sister communities when making these kinds of decisions. ;)

--------------------
Edit: To explain my tone at the end here, I probably just misunderstood the original post, and if I have, I apologize for the misunderstanding, but the intent I got was, "I think these pages should be on the other wiki instead, but I can't seem to move them, what should I do?", which is different from "I think these pages should be on the other wiki instead, what are your thoughts?".

The information pertains to both communities in different ways, but instead of discussing consolidation first, it sounded a lot like one party simply made a decision about the other party's information without their input, i.e., taking ownership without discussing first, and something about that bothers me. :P
jeffythedragonslayer

No it's my fault; I apologize for being excessively eager to move these pages Drag. Part of the reason I opened this thread is I didn't want to destroy the edit history by copying them to the snes subdomain manually, as one of the reasons we have edit history is that it's easier to revert mistakes (which this almost could have been if I didn't open this thread.)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Standard controller and mouse already have articles on the SNES wiki: Both are already being adapted for the SNES developer perspective, rather than the NES one.

...and yes we definitely do use SNES controllers with NES. ^_^

I don't know what the NTT Data Keyboard article is doing on the NESDev wiki... maybe Fiskbit could comment on whether that was a pre-SNES-wiki attempt to record SNES information or whether it has some NES relevance. Same with Blargg's SPC thingie, though that's way, way older.

Both of those should probably be migrated? I think Fiskbit should handle the former. Blargg's thing has only one real author, all the other edits are trivial link corrections. So in both cases a text copy doesn't lose any important attribution history. It's pretty clear the SPC tutorial is the work of Blargg. ;)
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

It's an NES-compatible controller, so I documented it on the NES wiki. I have a preference for it staying there, since if you really need a lot of buttons, it's a great option as it's an official controller with 27 independent buttons and isn't too hard to find. I could see an argument for moving it to SNESdev, but going by the SNES controller articles, we're formatting them fairly differently. [Edit: To be clear, I think the best approach is to have pages for it on both wikis.]

I don't think there's any reason for the SPC article to be on the NES wiki.
Drag

Post by Drag »

jeffythedragonslayer wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:05 pm No it's my fault; I apologize for being excessively eager to move these pages Drag. Part of the reason I opened this thread is I didn't want to destroy the edit history by copying them to the snes subdomain manually, as one of the reasons we have edit history is that it's easier to revert mistakes (which this almost could have been if I didn't open this thread.)
All good! I just wanted to voice that concern early on, and I was really afraid of sounding randomly aggressive since I tend to be snarky. :P I am excited by the recent enthusiasm in the SnesDev scene, after all. :D