My new game for NES. Project Commando :D

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Commandos

My new game for NES. Project Commando :D

Post by Commandos »

Hello everyone. My name is Matthew and i would like to present my new game for NES called Project Commando. Its Commando style shooter. The task is simple to collect 100points :). Game was programmed in C language using cc65 compilator and iformations from net. I start programming when i was kid and my first bigger project I complete in 1998 it was also Project Commando but it was written in Quick Basic for dos. It was completly different game but with the same sprites :) and a little different story then the main objective was to destroy Nuclear Weapon :D. I always want to make game for NES because i play a lot of NES games when I was younger. And now I complete my new version of Project Commando for NES so I am very happy that i can place it here for everyone that want to play it :).

Greetings :)
Attachments
project_commando_001.png
project_commando_001.png (5.14 KiB) Viewed 3931 times
project_commando_000.png
project_commando_000.png (4.86 KiB) Viewed 3931 times
project_commando.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Dacicus

Re: My new game for NES. Project Commando :D

Post by Dacicus »

Hi, Matthew. I think this is a good start. After playing through it, I have some suggestions for possible improvements:
  • If this is intended for NTSC, your name (I'm assuming it's yours) at the top will probably get cut off. You can read about overscan for more information.
  • The bullet graphics are very small. I think they would be easier to see if they were larger. Note: I played on an emulator without any scaling/stretching/filtering.
  • I find the flashing score indicator annoying. Maybe you could put it on that white building at the top and not make it flash.
Commandos

Post by Commandos »

Thank you for answer :) posts are welcome :)

Whell Actually it was my frist NES projects so I start learning cc65 from beginnig but I have experience in C C++ and game programming using old school tricks tile sets and sprites so it was fun and pleasure to make this game :).

Maybe in free time I try to make fixes :)

- I know that name is cutting in NTSC :) I made this game using Mesen emulator and there is everything ok.

- Bullets yea that true that there are very small black dots but i really want to make them like that because in old version of Project Commando they look the same. But if we talking about good NES games you have absolutly right many of NES games have bullets like marbles they are a little bit bigger and they are more visible. I think about that :)

- Points counter unfortunetly blinking :). I know that but I make this game as fast as posibble. Its because I am using sprites to display digits. And some sprites sometimes are blinking even in commando sprites. It is probablly nes limit of 8 sprites per row I am not sure. Or maybe i shoud try something with buffering - drawing them in different place of code. If anyone knows how to resolve this please give me a tip :)

Thanks and greetings to all Nes Dev Maniacs forum :D
qbradq

Post by qbradq »

That's a fun little game. Great work! I especially like the artwork on the little dudes. Have you thought about making the score text tiles and put it on the background?
Commandos

Post by Commandos »

Well actually the text that are on the top of the screen title Project Commando :D and credits are made using tiles background. But counter that is bottom is made by using sprites. Maybe I rewrite code and try another approach. Maybe I shoud try display scores using bacground tiles on the top sending data straight to memory where tiles are. But I am not sure is this is a good resolution.
Commandos

Post by Commandos »

One of Project Commando :D fans make this photo of game running on real NES :D
Attachments
project_commando_real_nes.jpg
sdm

Post by sdm »

Nice project, good luck :)
Fajny projekt, powodzenia ;)
Commandos

Post by Commandos »

Thanks :D If anyone have some ideas :D for next part of game :) please write here :D
Commandos

Post by Commandos »

Hello everyone. Here its my new game project. This time for PC. I hope you will enjoy it.

https://sites.google.com/view/samurai-c ... 2%C3%B3wna

PC Game: Samurai Commando. (alpha version)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|This game is free software so it means you can copy it and play it like freeware software.|

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game: Samurai Commando (alpha version)

I hope you will enjoy it.

Date: 2023-12-05

Game size is only: 832 KB in zip file

To run game execute file: Samurai_Commando.exe

System Requirements: Game for working needs computer with Windows operating system and installed JRE Java Runtime Enviroment.

Game controls: W,S,A,D keys for walking E key for shooting and mouse for head movement

Programming, story, animations, camera movement, level design, Ai fighting algorithm is all made by me: Mateusz Pawlowski.

Few words about Samurai Commando:

I started this project as 3d object viewer of old format .obj 3d Studio files.

After I test this viewer I was very impressed how it works so I decided to make something more and I try to load some doom quake and tomb raider levels.

When I did it I realized that my small program grows bigger and start looking like 3d engine so I decided to make my own 3d software renderer. And I make 3d game using my own engine. In fact I make all 3d engine without using opengl or directx. Just simple math vector and algebra calculations. Rotating and transforming vertex in 3d space and then make triangles from them and draw it on screen using flat colouring without textures. Everything was programmed using Java object programming language. Maybe in future I rewrite this program for C++ to make it works faster. Anyway it works pretty weel in Java.

Games that inspire me to make my own 3d renderer engine without opengl and directx:

LHX Chopper simulator
Virtua Racing
Virtua Cop 1,2
Virtua Fighter 1
Tomb Raider 1
Quake 1,2
Commandos

Post by Commandos »

sc_01.png
sc_01.png (7.85 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
sc_02.png