Trying to devise some ways to extend my gameplay

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Marscaleb

Trying to devise some ways to extend my gameplay

Post by Marscaleb »

I'm working on a very simple project; it's basically a Pacman clone.
I'm trying to devise some ways to expand the gameplay to make it more interesting. Not necessarily something complex, but just to add a little bit of flavor. Right now the game feels too boring; it's going to wear out its welcome too fast.

I thought I would just kind-of throw this out here and see if anyone has any good ideas of things I might try. My brainstorm ran a little dry; the ideas I keep thinking of don't work so well for a game like this, and I'm hoping maybe some of you folks might have some fresher thoughts (since you're not being influenced by the comparisons I keep making.)

The game started as a Pacman clone, but I tried to add in elements from some other games that aren't working, so let's just stick with describing it as a Pacman clone for now: overhead view, character wanders through abstract levels (mazes), collect treasure, avoid enemies. The level ends when you collect four keys and go out an exit. I also added a fireball attack with limited quantity as an offensive measure.
Drag

Re: Trying to devise some ways to extend my gameplay

Post by Drag »

The most fun I have in games like these is when the enemies have complex but predictable (and manipulable) AI that goes beyond a simple "go straight to the player" strategy.

Crazy Castle 2 is my usual go-to when I refer to this, but Door Door and BurgerTime do similar things too with how the enemies decide when to take a ladder, and when to get off a ladder. Lode Runner has a fascinating set of rules for how the enemies decide how to move, and that tends to create some interesting gameplay too.

If you're just looking for a simple gimmick to play around with, Jumpman on Atari 8-bit and C64 has an interesting mechanic where when you collect the collectables, each one will make some kind of tweak to the level's layout when you pick it up. I can't recall many other games that do that, so it might be interesting to experiment with.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

This is probably not what you're going for, but what about making it multiplayer competitive? Maybe adding the ability to block off passages or something like that, to try to trap other players near monsters while you race for treasure?
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

gauauu wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:03 am multiplayer competitive
block off passages
trap other players near monsters while you race for treasure
Sounds like Bomberman :)
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

creaothceann wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:01 am
gauauu wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:03 am multiplayer competitive
block off passages
trap other players near monsters while you race for treasure
Sounds like Bomberman :)
Glad I'm not the only one who saw that. ;)

Honestly I thought of adding bombs into my game, but I couldn't figure out how to keep it from just becoming Bomberman.
I mean, sure, in it's current form the connection to PAcman is obvious, but it's still different enough to be its own thing. But Bomberman? Man once I go that route it feels way too much like I stole the game.