Partial transparency on objects?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
iNCEPTIONAL

Re: Partial transparency on objects?

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

rainwarrior wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:20 pm If you start the game, you can just run up the stairs and go in the door next to the stairs on the second floor (just jump off the stairs). That'll get you to the level we're looking at faster, plus you can play around and investigate.
Ah, cheers for the quick tip. Much faster than the method I was using. :)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:43 pmHere's something else I just noticed; I'm not sure how they are doing the nice gradient on the window in this level plus the black used for the rest of the background colour behind layer 3?
They're just changing one specific palette colour each scanline, using HDMA. (Specifically colour $15, i.e. the 6th entry in the 2nd row.)
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

rainwarrior wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:13 pm
iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:43 pmHere's something else I just noticed; I'm not sure how they are doing the nice gradient on the window in this level plus the black used for the rest of the background colour behind layer 3?
They're just changing one specific palette colour each scanline, using HDMA. (Specifically colour $15, i.e. the 6th entry in the 2nd row.)
Ah, okay. So silly that I never considered the gradient effect could be applied to more than just the background colour in this example. Doh.