Add a new bank in MMC1 and use the new space

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

Re: Add a new bank in MMC1 and use the new space

Post by Dwedit »

Are you talking about Mario Adventure and failure to initialize save data?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Timaeus

Post by Timaeus »

Hum....using the $6000-$7ffff will not be a good idea then. I do not want to corrupt my game or make it unplayable somehow. I guess I will have to deal with the space I have and simply codes one by one then :(
That is going to be fun, considering that I am struggling to do a zig-zag type enemy right now...

Gotta say, being stuck on this for many weeks is really not motivational at all. Oh well, do you guys have an example of how to make a zig-zag enemy? I managed to make it move and added a condition, but when it reaches it, it moves back to the opposite direction for 1 frame only and restart from the beggining due to RTS making it go back all the way to the beggining.
calima

Post by calima »

@Dwedit
Sorry, don't remember which one it was.

@Timaeus
It's fine to use the SRAM area, you just need to avoid being lazy like that hack.
Timaeus

Post by Timaeus »

Ok so, after some thinking, I decided to move the entire bosses code handlers and subroutines to the new space. I added a piece of code that swaps the bank, read all the code, then goes back, added the bank swap code in $C000-$FFFF, and the rest in the new space...and it worked!

Now all I have to do is add all the necessary routines there as well, so I dont need to swap banks all the time I need them. It is easy to do that so, I will be fine :p

the problem was that I was using a subroutine code instead of the main code, and had to swap alot all the time, making it unreadable. Oops :p

EDIT: After various weeks, I finally got it to work. Thank you all, very much. You guys and a couple of friends, including Zieldak and Kuja Killer, made my project stay alive. Thank you so much!! And Kuja, you are amazing!