My God, SD3 seriously could pass for a 32-bit game imo

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

iNCEPTIONAL

Re: My God, this seriously could pass for a 32-bit game imo

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

olddb wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:18 pm how about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5OSgU-N98U
Yeah, there's just a bunch of very cool boss battles in this game. And it's the combination of some gorgeous pixel art (partly possible because of all the colours they can put in there on the bosses, backgrounds, characters and even item wheels, so you don't get any sense at all that the artists were limited by the colour palette and could just draw the art exactly as they envisioned it), the kickass special attacks that use all the colours, colour math, window/shape masks, etc, that really start to give the game that 32-bit vibe I'm talking about (and there's just loads of very impressive ones), and the music that rounds everything off (especially some of the more almost NiN industrial sounding tunes and effects in some of the battles).

When you consider it all as a whole, it's just very impressive, and even more so that it's just a 16-bit console doing this.

I wish some indie devs were creating new stuff up to this kind of quality for SNES in 2022. I mean, seriously, just imagine the kind of stuff we could be seeing on SNES in modern times if people actually bothered to push it to its true limits in terms of pure art, graphics, audio, and even controls (I mean, Christ, the system has a controller with a design that's versatile enough to actually allow proper move/turn-strafing plus simultaneous firing and sprinting at the same time in a Doom-style game, with a bunch of buttons still spare for other stuff like switching weapons, opening doors/activating switches, bringing up a map, and opening the Pause menu too!). . . .
Last edited by iNCEPTIONAL on Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

When I think of "32-bit" consoles, I don't think of gorgeous spritework, I think of low-poly models with unfiltered textures (huge pixels).
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

Yes, that's definitely where we transitioned across to early-days 3D at that time, but obviously I'm talking about just the 2D stuff on 32-bit consoles here. If you think of something like Astal or Symphony of the Night, then you're in the wheelhouse.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

nah 32bit machines would be able to do the fancy battle effects AND keep the wavy background.
Shonumi

Post by Shonumi »

I actually have a lot of fond memories of the 32-bit era for 2D (or rather mixed 2D/3D) games, mostly JRPGs. I mostly remember Square/tri-Ace/Namco stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 2, and Tales of Destiny. I was a huge Mega Man nerd and was pleased to see MMX4 - MMX6 along with MM8. There's still a ton of other games I've been wanting to play over the years (Princess Crown on the Saturn is top on my list).
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Well, just saying 32-bit games would probably make most people think of 3D games of that era, but if you specifically say 32-bit 2D games I think mainly of gorgeous PS1 and especially Saturn games like the mentioned Princess Crown, Guardian Heroes, Sakura Taisen, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Dodonpachi, most/all 32-bit Rockman games and many PS1 RPGs.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

Dwedit wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:46 pm You can actually encode lossless RGB H.264 video for low resolution video, and it will look perfect. It's just not usable on YouTube.
By the way, do you [or anyone else in here] have examples of such videos showing off SNES games in a lossless format like this?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

TASvideos has a huge library of lossless SNES movies. They play back directly in an emulator (most often BizHawk) with the ROM alongside it.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

rainwarrior wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:37 am TASvideos has a huge library of lossless SNES movies. They play back directly in an emulator (most often BizHawk) with the ROM alongside it.
Thanks for links, but I was more thinking about being able to see some gameplay movies of the games online in a normal browser or something like that, just without the compression and whatever else YouTube does to them. If this is the alternative though, then I'll just stick to the great 4K videos on YouTube from xRavenXP and the like, which look great to me as is. Maybe those 4K YouTube videos already do what I was talking about anyway, and I just got confused about what I thought Dwedit was speaking of. Thanks again though, and I'll maybe check out the videos in an emulator at some point.
Last edited by iNCEPTIONAL on Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Catyak

Post by Catyak »

iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:54 am
Dwedit wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:46 pm You can actually encode lossless RGB H.264 video for low resolution video, and it will look perfect. It's just not usable on YouTube.
By the way, do you [or anyone else in here] have examples of such videos showing off SNES games in a lossless format like this?
The major problem with finding such footage is that you can't put it on youtube, which makes it harder to find, and also that it would only be worth it when used to capture emulators or high quality RGB signals from a console. In addition, the person capturing the video would need to be aware of this option, and they might not to do it for size reasons. In practice, normal 480p60 video with reasonably high bitrate is fine.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

Catyak wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:29 am
iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:54 am
The major problem with finding such footage is that you can't put it on youtube, which makes it harder to find, and also that it would only be worth it when used to capture emulators or high quality RGB signals from a console. In addition, the person capturing the video would need to be aware of this option, and they might not to do it for size reasons. In practice, normal 480p60 video with reasonably high bitrate is fine.
Yeah, given what I just mentioned above, I think you're right. I think I'll just stick with xRavenXP's 4K SNES gameplay videos and the like on YouTube, which look gorgeous to me as is. And he also almost always shows the games without any stretch to 4:3 display aspect ratio too, sticking with 8:7 display aspect ratio for the most part instead, which is my preferred display aspect ratio for the vast majority of SNES games anyway, so it's all good. I was just curious to see what these other SNES lossless RGB H.264 videos would look like by comparison.