Streemerz Repro

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
Nidhoegger

Streemerz Repro

Post by Nidhoegger »

Hi,

i am currently trying to create a repro cartridge of Streemerz since I want to play it on real hardware. I used a TMC27C010A@DIP32, which work fine in other repros I made and used Top Gun as donor. I removed the old PRG Rom, bent up pin 24, soldered hole 22 (on the board, the one under pin 24) and soldered it to pin 2 and grounded Pin 24 as well as connected pins 30, 31 and 32 together (pin 31 would not be neccessary, but wont hurt either).

The game runs to the Faux game logo, then half of the streemerz character is loaded and then the game crashes. I cannot find any informations online, am I doing something wrong? Are there patches or something like that available?

Thanks in advance for every help!

EDIT: Forgot to mention: Currently I try to run it on a PAL system, may that be a problem? Lockout chip is PAL in the Cartridge.

Nidhoegger
paxtammy

Re: Streemerz Repro

Post by paxtammy »

Nidhoegger wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:20 am Hi,

i am currently trying to create a repro cartridge of Streemerz since I want to play it on real hardware. I used a TMC27C010A@DIP32, which work fine in other repros I made and used Top Gun as donor. I removed the old PRG Rom, bent up pin 24, soldered hole 22 (on the board, the one under pin 24) and soldered it to pin 2 and grounded Pin 24 as well as connected pins 30, 31 and 32 together (pin 31 would not be neccessary, but wont hurt either).

The game runs to the Faux game logo, then half of the streemerz character is loaded and then the game crashes. I cannot find any informations online, am I doing something wrong? Are there patches or something like that available?

Thanks in advance for every help!

EDIT: Forgot to mention: Currently I try to run it on a PAL system, may that be a problem? Lockout chip is PAL in the Cartridge.

Nidhoegger
double check your soldering and try reprogramming the roms- it could be the lockout chip, but im not too sure about that
Nidhoegger

Post by Nidhoegger »

Thanks for your answer. I actually did it twice, ive build 2 boards, made 2 eeproms, exactly the same behaviour for both. The games from the donor worked fine, so the lockout chip should be OK.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

It is a Nintendo system or a clone? IIRC it uses illegal instructions, not sure if those work properly on clones.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Could you share a picture of the rework you've done? There's no obvious reason that you should have had any problems.

Usually this kind of crash indicates there's something wrong with bankswitching, but the game switches to banks 0, 1, and 3 before it draws the title screen. Perhaps there's something wrong with the traces from the data lines to the 74'161 to the 74'32 ?
Nidhoegger

Post by Nidhoegger »

rainwarrior wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:57 pm It is a Nintendo system or a clone? IIRC it uses illegal instructions, not sure if those work properly on clones.
its an original system.

Images are attached (i hope).
Attachments
photo_2022-08-25_01-55-12.jpg
photo_2022-08-25_01-55-20.jpg
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

Change the mirroring jumper from Horizontal to Vertical, as this game hangs with the wrong mirroring in emulator in the same manner (probably sprite 0 hit fails)
Nidhoegger

Post by Nidhoegger »

Wait, isnt it set to vertical?
Nidhoegger

Post by Nidhoegger »

Dude you are amazing! It works! Thanks so much!
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

The emulation scene settled on 'mirroring' terminology, which is the exact opposite of the 'arrangement' or 'scroll' terminology used on PCBs. So, vertical mirroring requires the H or horizontal arrangement pad.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Oh crap, another instance of the conflict between H and V terminologies tripping people off... Every repro guide should have something like this written in bold red letters:

THE H AND V SOLDER PADS IN NINTENDO BOARDS DO NOT REFER TO NAME TABLE MIRRORING, THEY REFER TO NAME TABLE ARRANGEMENT. MIRRORING AND ARRANGEMENT ARE OPPOSITES TO EACH OTHER, SO WHENEVER A TOOL OR EMULATOR INDICATES THAT A GAME USES H OR V MIRRORING, YOU HAVE TO SOLDER THE OPPOSITE LETTER ON NINTENDO BOARDS WHEN MAKING A REPRO OF THAT GAME.