SRAM protection?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
calima

Re: SRAM protection?

Post by calima »

All the Pokemon games, even the original Red/Blue, keep a copy of the saves. I suppose that's essential when the battery can run out when saving though.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Yeah, I think redundant saves are useful on all platforms for reasons like that.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I think many NES games also does that. Dragon Warrior replicates the save data (which is only 32 byte) 7 times according to Gamefaq.
jeffythedragonslayer

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

I think there are plenty of ways that not explaining the save process well can go wrong.

When I was in elementary school, the kid in front of me in the line for recess had a Game Boy in an outside pocket of his backpack where anyone could easily mess with it. I turned it on as a joke and was very surprised when he said "What did you do that for?! Now I have to save it!"

I tried to explain to him that it was okay to just turn the power off. It wasn't until this year that someone explained to me that he misinterpreted Pokémon telling him to save the game before powering off and that's why he had that reaction.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah I also had a similar misinterpretation as a kid and thought that if you start a saved game file and then turn off without saving first, you will loose ALL data and have to start over from the beginning of the game again (I knew the title screen was safe since you return there after saving in Zelda). Eventually I learned that you only loose whatever you did since your last save, and that just made more sense. Ironically I ignored the warning that you need to hold RESET on the NES when turning power OFF (I wasn't old enough to understand English), something that actually can erase all data, but luckily that never happened for us.

Also one of my siblings accidentally entered kill mode in Zelda and thought he had erased all save files. We were devastated until papa came and explained that he had only entered kill mode and the game was now waiting for the player to pick a file to kill.

Post by 93143 »

IIRC Mario Golf on N64 actually works that way. To prevent mulligans, it deletes your save when you load it.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Meanwhile, Mario Kart Golf on GBC let you save and quit to retry a hole, but you got an inferior reward icon for finishing.
Last edited by Dwedit on Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Dwedit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:28 pm Mario Kart on GBC let you save and quit to retry a hole
[Sarcasm]Must be a great road trap/hazard simulator. :roll: [/Sarcasm]
calima

Post by calima »

Do you mean GBA? There was no Mario Kart for GBC.
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

calima wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:26 am There was no Mario Kart for GBC.
It's probably just a typo and he meant Mario Golf instead.
That's why I made the sarcastic comment.