Documenting the Joycard Sansui SSS Controller

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Retronika

Documenting the Joycard Sansui SSS Controller

Post by Retronika »

Hello, all.
In an effort to increase the knowledge the community has regarding the NES/Famicom and all related hardware, I provide here some PCB images from the Joycard Sansui SSS controller (this one specifically being the NES version). For those unaware, this controller was developed and released by Hudson Soft around 1989. Its main unique features are turbo controls for the A & B buttons as well as providing a headphone jack, and includes a built-in RCA cable to pass the NES's audio through (Famicom version uses the expansion port for this), as well as being able to pan the audio to the left or right speaker depending if you hold the D-Pad left or right.

There's a lot more to these boards than the images imply, but I'm sadly not able to desolder and separate them for photographing at this time. If anyone else here has this controller and/or is able to desolder the 2 bridging components linking both boards together, as well as possibly being able to work out how the hardware in the controller works via these images, I happily invite you to share them here! I'm very much eager to get this quirky device documented for posterity, and I very much appreciate any outside help and advice in this regard.
Controller input board
Controller input board
Audio/I/O processing board (back)
Audio/I/O processing board (back)

(Also, this is my first ever post here, so apologies if I started this off "wrong" or anything of the sort. :mrgreen: )