Help collecting pictures of CPU and PPU packages

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

org

Re: Help collecting pictures of CPU and PPU packages

Post by org »

> Does anyone know what this is?
Pirate Quality? :D

I have another batch of chips on the depackage on the way.
Attachments
IMG-20230403-WA0045.jpg
IMG-20230403-WA0043.jpg
loglow

Post by loglow »

org wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:19 amI have another batch of chips on the depackage on the way.
That chip labeled UM6558 has 48 pins???

And is the little UM6559 a memory chip?

I found a pair of UM6116 memory chips recently, they work fine (UM6116-2 and UM6116-3L).

B5A708B8-6B46-4D3B-B0FF-6C6455108529.jpeg
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

loglow wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:31 am
org wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:19 amI have another batch of chips on the depackage on the way.
That chip labeled UM6558 has 48 pins???

And is the little UM6559 a memory chip?

I found a pair of UM6116 memory chips recently, they work fine (UM6116-2 and UM6116-3L).

B5A708B8-6B46-4D3B-B0FF-6C6455108529.jpeg
UM6558 is a PPU that outputs a digital video signal (not RGB, but a 6-bit palette value; this means PPU features like colour tints are not supported at all). UM6559 is a custom chip that converts a such format into an analogue SECAM signal.
Their functionality are documented on the wiki but I don't think anyone has tried to do much with them. I can definitely see the UM6558 being used in a cheap RGB or HDMI mod if they're not rare.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

They are tragically quite rare. Close to a decade ago, I'd seen a random link of someone who'd found a small handful of 6558s and was selling RGB famiclones using them.
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

lidnariq wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:25 am They are tragically quite rare. Close to a decade ago, I'd seen a random link of someone who'd found a small handful of 6558s and was selling RGB famiclones using them.
That's sad. Hopefully their functionality can be preserved with a decap.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Oh, the functionality is well-known! Other than whether they support 50/60 Hz switchable, or if the 4 EXT pins are still EXT

The lower 6 bits of the "color data" bus contain the 6 bits of the palette index from the palette RAM (D0-D3 inverted, D4-D5 verbatim), before it goes to the composite modulator region of the die. viewtopic.php?p=194423#p194423
org

Post by org »

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... dwbgEAuS1P

GM, HA, P03, SENITON, 6572, 6528, 6557, 6558 folders. From the DSLR.
forple

Post by forple »

I posted these to the CPU revisions page already. But I haven't gotten to the PPUs just yet. So here's full board pictures.

Weird clone with a CPU marked XYZ-6783. From my notes on the CPU revisions page:
Lacks tonal noise mode like original RP2A03, but resets APU Frame Counter on console reset like 2A03E/2A03G. Otherwise behaves like letterless RP2A03.
XYZ clone.jpg
PPU is a bit weird; It's marked as "6528". But it's really one huge lie. It contains proper EXP output and palette readback on Micro Machines works. And the video isn't horribly oversaturated on top of that. Considering an old forum post from Argentina shows PAL WDL PPUs having the same region switch as the TA chipsets, they may be very closely related to the TAs.
--
This other one's a really weird console. I don't usually expect much from clones in terms of expansion audio. But this one... wow! It perfectly matches how mixing sounds in NSFPlay. Shame that the 7805 just overheats after less than 5 minutes, though. Additionally, it doesn't even mix the audio right. Composite output gets only the APU for some reason? RF works fine, it seems, though.
perfect mixing.jpg
CPU: Standard fare UMC-based CPU clone. Duties swapped, DPCM is fine, blah blah blah. It's a bit weird though. Why is the CPU marked "6538N" as if it were a UMC PPU?
PPU: This thing. Oh my god. It's just stupidly bizarre. You'd expect, from well, any average UMC-based (probably) PPU that the video signal is somewhat "oversaturated. This PPU is the exact opposite, but weirdly deliberately. The PPU is overall, desaturated. But it's not all. This PPU also has the "lightest" $3x palette rows on the palette so bright compared to the rest it's near-white. It's effectively white unless you put the colors next to each other and notice they have an extremely slight tint hinting at the original color. This is easily observed in KiraKira Star Night DX, as the main character's hair in the CG scenes are light pink, using one of the $3x colors. Below is a comparison of how absolutely busted it is compared to a "proper" render of the same CG, since it renders her hair and other bits more or less perfectly white.

And yes, I really do need to get a proper capture card soon. I'll see what I can do about that in the future.
kirakira_correct.png
kirakira_correct.png (11.11 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
kirakira_wrong.jpg
Salduchi

Post by Salduchi »

loglow wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:02 pm
Individualised wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:41 pmIs there any more context to the origins of this chip/what it exactly is?
I believe it originally came out of a genuine Famicom, but I'm not certain. Other than it functioning as an NTSC PPU with a non-clone palette, I'm not sure what else to add. I suspect that it's a RP2C02E-0, for lack of a better explanation. I'm not sure if a RP2C02E (non -0) even exists?
I have a Famicom with PPU revision E that has a heat spreader. It’s legit. Do PPU’s prior to E-0 get really get hot enough to warrant these heat spreaders? I find this interesting,
Salduchi

Post by Salduchi »

Fiskbit wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:36 pm
loglow wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:50 pm Hey, I found some new chips!

RP2C02E wasn't listed on the wiki at all, so I added it.
What is this madness?? What are the serial numbers and models of the consoles that had these chips?
My Famicom that has the PPU E with heat spreader has a serial number H500xxxx
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

Some of the PPUs get hot enough that they're painful to touch for more than a moment. We haven't collected any concrete data on this, but there are temperature differences between chips, likely between revisions of chips.

Thanks for the revision E info. I've managed to get a couple of these now, but without any serial number information. That number is a bit higher than I would have guessed, but not unreasonably so.
Salduchi

Post by Salduchi »

Fiskbit wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:42 am Some of the PPUs get hot enough that they're painful to touch for more than a moment. We haven't collected any concrete data on this, but there are temperature differences between chips, likely between revisions of chips.

Thanks for the revision E info. I've managed to get a couple of these now, but without any serial number information. That number is a bit higher than I would have guessed, but not unreasonably so.

I thought so too. I figured it would be an E-0 PPU. I bought this famicom brand new and all the chips are from mid to late 84. It was one of the first round button Famicom’s and last ones to come without the red plug on the front port and an all black power brick. One prior has a big black sticker with white text and ones after has that shiny stick on the bottom front.
OmDRetro

Post by OmDRetro »

I got myself a pair of those TA-03NP1 CPUs and tried to combine it with a 21.47~ MHz XTal and a UA6528 PPU.

The result isn't that bad actually and it works well with some NTSC games I tried so far. I'm still in search for a pure NTSC variant of the TA series though.
  • Battletoads fails to enter stage 1, but intro works fine
I also tested it with Pinobatch's(tepples?) 240p Test Suite (NES, GB, GBA) v0.23 and it showed the ff. result:

Code: Select all

Cycles/line: 114.3
Lines/frame: 262
NMI Scanline: 241
TV System: NTSC (60Hz)
Frame rate: 60.10
CPU Speed: 1.800
Attachments
TA-03NP1_CPU_OmDRetro.jpg
TA-03NP1_CPU_BackSide-OmDRetro.jpg
hacksquad

Post by hacksquad »

The last one is P03 i think, I also have TA-02N which is pure NTSC chip, doesn't work in PAL mode at all and no NTSC/PAL pin.

I am going to do a video of these chips, will upload it on my youtube channel soon.

P03 is a pure NTSC CPU with near perfect sound like the original while P02 is a PAL PPU which needs extra PAL crystal to work
278568947_10160275004077088_4881479392569931442_n.jpg