Searching for OAM DMA: To be or not to be?

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Searching for OAM DMA: To be or not to be?

Post by tepples »

A discussion came up elsewhere[1] about avoiding the chance for a CPU crash during cartridge hot-swapping. I vaguely remembered that OAM DMA was used because it was less sensitive to sags than having the 6502 core running. However, because OAM and DMA have fewer than four letters, phpBB's built-in search treats both of those words as stopwords.
Searched query: +tapedump

ignored: oam dma
Then I tried site:forums.nesdev.org tapedump oam dma on a general web search engine, and again no dice.
No results found for site:forums.nesdev.org tapedump oam dma.

Suggestions:
  • Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
  • Try different keywords.
  • Try more general keywords.
  • Try fewer keywords.
Is there a recommended way to search the forum for posts mentioning a concept whose usual name consists of three-letter abbreviations?

[1] In the #asm channel of the gbdev server on Discord
Individualised

Re: Searching for OAM DMA: To be or not to be?

Post by Individualised »

I encounter this all the time when trying to search for stuff here. It's pretty annoying, is there a technical reason for this or is it an arbitrary limitation?

Also, by the way, Google does give results when using that search query. I suspect one of the results may be the post you were looking for.
brizzo
Site Admin

Post by brizzo »

phpBB has limited options for how it can build a search index. Currently we are using MySQL Full Text searching, which by default is limited to 4 characters for performance reasons. Since I have been hosting the site for a year now and collected performance data over that time, I am willing to adjust this down to 3 characters and see how it impacts the overall performance of the server.

Searching "tapedump oam dma" will now give results :)
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

That's great! Thank you.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Cool! I've certainly had problems searching for 3-letter terms before. Thank you for adjusting this!
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

It would probably help to completely remove the PHP session ID from all URLs. That breaks web searches and Wayback machine.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!