Question about NSFs generated with Famitracker

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Individualised

Question about NSFs generated with Famitracker

Post by Individualised »

Is it possible (even if there are no tools to do it yet - talking hypothetically here) to convert NSFs generated with Famitracker back into FTM/0cc format? It seems like the format used by the sound engine that Famitracker generates NSFs with contains most of the necessary data to do so, but I'm not quite sure.

No, I don't mean importing NSFs in general into Famitracker - I'm aware that there are tools for that with messy results. I mean converting (un-exporting?) a Famitracker-generated NSF back into something resembling it's original Famitracker module with the original formatting intact.
rainwarrior

Re: Question about NSFs generated with Famitracker

Post by rainwarrior »

It's possible. There was an NSF Decompiler tool a few years ago. Some information is discarded in the NSF creation process (e.g. instrument names) but most of it can just 1:1 go back into FTM data.

I don't know if there's a current version of such a thing for a current version of the tracker. I haven't really kept up on any of the Famitracker forks that happened after jsr stopped working on it.