xa65 linking

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

riiyak

xa65 linking

Post by riiyak »

Hello,

I'm trying to compile and link a project that seems to have been written for use with xa65. The code is located on github here - https://gitlab.com/Lemmyz/z2PracticeCart

I used the command "xa -M z2PracticeCart.asm" and it compiles successfully, however I believe the ASM files reference the program counter to put the code in the proper place in the original ROM. I own the original ROM as well, but I can't seem to figure out how to link it.

I tried reading the man page, but I'm not understanding. Wondering if someone here can assist.

Thanks!
riiyak

Re: xa65 linking

Post by riiyak »

UPDATE:

After additional digging, I found this developer actually created their own linker that parsed out the custom ASM in the project. I was able to download that linker and recompile it for my purposes. All it ends up doing is creating an IPS file from the assembly, which can then be patched onto an appropriate source ROM.

I'd still be interested to know if this is doable directly in xa65, but I'm good for now.