Question: SnesTracker(?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Orion-Tls12

Question: SnesTracker(?

Post by Orion-Tls12 »

Good afternoon, do any of you know if there is a program like FamiTracker but for SNES? Sorry if my question sounds too simple, I am starting with the development of this console.
Individualised

Re: Question: SnesTracker(?

Post by Individualised »

As of the latest dev versions, Furnace Tracker now supports the SNES sound system, though I'm not quite sure how complete the implementation is yet. Furnace is an open-source multi-system tracker and alternative to DefleMask that supports many sound chips, and its ease of use can be compared to Famitracker. However, as Furnace is not a development-focused program, it may be difficult to implement compositions you make in Furnace into your SNES programs - though you at least get an SPC export, so you could reverse engineer the sound driver included in the SPC.

If you want something useful and ready for homebrew development, you have 2 options: SNESGSS, a sound driver and development-focused tracker, though it is a bit dated and the driver itself is limited, and SNESMOD, which is not its own tracker but rather a sound driver that uses Impulse Tracker modules, so you can use SNESMOD with Impulse Tracker or OpenMPT or any other IT tracker of your choice. However this driver is also rather limited, and you must make sure your modules fit certain specifications that may not seem obvious or intuitive otherwise they will not play back properly.
Orion-Tls12

Post by Orion-Tls12 »

Perfect. I will try FurnaceTracker and SnesGss to see which one suits me best, Thank you very much and have a nice day.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Individualised wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:18 pm However, as Furnace is not a development-focused program, it may be difficult to implement compositions you make in Furnace into your SNES programs - though you at least get an SPC export, so you could reverse engineer the sound driver included in the SPC.
Furnace doesn't have SPC export yet, what are you talking about?
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

Nikku4211 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:38 am
Individualised wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:18 pm However, as Furnace is not a development-focused program, it may be difficult to implement compositions you make in Furnace into your SNES programs - though you at least get an SPC export, so you could reverse engineer the sound driver included in the SPC.
Furnace doesn't have SPC export yet, what are you talking about?
I must be mistaken, I remember reading that on the GitHub but maybe it's not implemented yet? Or am I thinking of a ROM export?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

The only reference I could find on Furnace Tracker v. SNES says that "SNES support" will be "soon" but "not SPC export" (possibly in the future, but not explicitly stated anywhere)

Looking at the git history, there was a commit called "snes" merged in September. I will look into it some more...
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

dougeff wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:58 am The only reference I could find on Furnace Tracker v. SNES says that "SNES support" will be "soon" but "not SPC export" (possibly in the future, but not explicitly stated anywhere)

Looking at the git history, there was a commit called "snes" merged in September. I will look into it some more...
SNES support is in the latest dev versions on GitHub as I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S7XksgbgSw (see description: previous text here edited out) The question is whether SPC export is or not. It seems I was mistaken in that regard.