Simplest way to integrate an nsf to your game code.

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: Simplest way to integrate an nsf to your game code.

Post by rainwarrior »

1. What's the assertion on line 4376 of famistudio_ca65.s?

2. The missing memory assignment might be an issue with your CFG file. What does that look like?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I'm not sure if throwing all your work away and going in a different direction every time things don't seem to go your way is the best approach here... In a short period of time you went from integrating an NSF to using Famitone to writing your own sound engine and now to using Famistudio.

I understand the frustration of trying to piece something seemingly simple together and failing, but in retro game development, things are indeed sometimes difficult to put together when you don't have a good understanding of how things interact with one another, and are working based on other people's notes and tips rather than comprehensive tutorials or documentation.

But if you don't stick with one thing and put the effort to figure out WHY things didn't go your way, you're not gonna improve. You learn more from your failures than from your successes, is what they say, and I think it applies here. Every time we've tried to help you debug something, your next post is a complete 180° rather than something about trying to fix whatever went wrong last time.
Tompis1995

Post by Tompis1995 »

tokumaru wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:09 pm I'm not sure if throwing all your work away and going in a different direction every time things don't seem to go your way is the best approach here... In a short period of time you went from integrating an NSF to using Famitone to writing your own sound engine and now to using Famistudio.

I understand the frustration of trying to piece something seemingly simple together and failing, but in retro game development, things are indeed sometimes difficult to put together when you don't have a good understanding of how things interact with one another, and are working based on other people's notes and tips rather than comprehensive tutorials or documentation.

But if you don't stick with one thing and put the effort to figure out WHY things didn't go your way, you're not gonna improve. You learn more from your failures than from your successes, is what they say, and I think it applies here. Every time we've tried to help you debug something, your next post is a complete 180° rather than something about trying to fix whatever went wrong last time.
Sorry. You're right. There ought to be a more comprehensive tutorial on how to pull these off.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

No need to be sorry, we're all just trying to help. My point was that maybe you could use a bit of focus, that's all.

Unfortunately, in retro game development, there often isn't a comprehensive tutorial for most of the things we want to do. Modern development tools have big teams of people behind them, and huge communities of users working on informative content, but almost everything for retro consoles is a one-man effort, so there isn't nearly as much information or support out there.

Anyway, like rainwarrior said, your most recent problem might be related to the CFG file you're using. If you post that we might be able to help you spot the problem.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

The Nerdy Nights sound tutorial is very thorough and complete for a tutorial. If you go that route, I strongly recommend to follow each lesson in the tutorial and do the things it teaches you and get them to work before you start changing things around or even add new stuff. If you make multiple changes before testing, you have no way to know which change broke it, and neither will anyone else. This goes for anything you code, not only this tutorial. Write working code first then systematically build onto that.