They came to wreak Hell - 8 direction scrolling top down shooter - RELEASED

Moderator: Moderators

team_disposable

They came to wreak Hell - 8 direction scrolling top down shooter - RELEASED

Post by team_disposable »

THE BLOBS WERE READY WHEN THEY INVADED OUR PLANET. WERE YOU?

They came to wreak Hell is Team Disposable's entry for the Nesdev 2022 competition.

They came to wreak Hell is a top down 8 directional scrolling shooter in which you defend earth* from the blobs.

6 levels, 2 endings, 5 different weapons, it should take about 20 minutes to half an hour to complete to get one ending.

You can download the post-nesdev, refined version here:

https://team-disposable.itch.io/they-came-to-wreak-hell

It uses my engine (the Disposable Engine** ) originally built for an improved version of my entry in to last year's Nesdev competition, Trouble at 2a03.

I built this one kind of quickly as my original project for the compo, Project DDDD, was a bit of a washout due to not being able to get the combat system working how I would have liked it, although I do hope to revisit it.

Due to its last minute nature the GUI etc weren't the greatest, and sound effects were disabled. I've released an improved version since, and am very happy with the result.

All music, graphics, level design etc are by me, with the engine uses a modified version of Shiru's excellent neslib, and an unmodified version of Famitone2. It's a mix of assembly and really horrible C, designed to coax the best I can out of CA65/CC65 while still being somewhat legible and modifiable, with additional import tooling and general glue holding it together written in python.

A whole bunch of other excellent community resources were used in its creation, like YY-CHR, NESST, NEXXT, CA65/CC65, tokumaru's LZSS packer/unpacker, Tiled, and I am sure some other bits and pieces I'm forgetting.

All criticism positive or negative is appreciated.

*well, an office and a car park
**you can probably see a theme forming here

wreak_hell_2(1).gif
wreak_hell_2(1).gif (2.49 MiB) Viewed 7366 times
wreak_hell_2.gif
wreak_hell_2.gif (2.86 MiB) Viewed 7366 times
wreak_hell(3).gif
wreak_hell(3).gif (2.82 MiB) Viewed 7366 times
wreak_hell(1).gif
wreak_hell(1).gif (1.17 MiB) Viewed 7366 times
team_disposable

Re: They came to wreak Hell - 8 direction scrolling top down shooter - RELEASED

BEHOLD
1671477845970.jpg
some cheap carts I had made.
1671477974691.jpg
Definitely NOT APPROVED BY NINTENDO - I'll sand that off later.
1671478002369.jpg
team_disposable

Yeah! I'm dead curious myself actually - they're from a Chinese Repro shop on AliExpress so I'm a bit scared they've got the 3.3 voltage kiss of death. Everyone who has a copy has been sufficiently warned!

It's the Unrom from my itch.io page, so it supports ch-ram, whatever it is!
team_disposable

Version 0.4 Friends and Lovers Edition released!

I've finished a few other projects recently and so had time to cycle back to this one.

New features -

-2 player mode
-Run ability - double tap and hold a direction to run
-Numerous bug fixes

Let me know if anyone has any issues etc.

Barring bugs, this might be the last update for this one.
team_disposable

Version 0.5 released.

New title, continue, control and between level screens. Some bug fixes, a few other bits.

In 2 player mode the players and their guis are drawn quite early so I do intend to go back sometime and unpick those writes and make them later in the chain, but that time is not today, friend.

Enjoy, or at least passively observe, Version 0.5.

oRBIT2002

Post by oRBIT2002 »

I'm pretty jealous at people creating stuff like this! I wish I had the patience to do something aswell. :)

I have suggestion/idea, perhaps it's just a general observation for many NES-games..It's pretty common that the character moves in a constant speed during movement. It would be interesting to see the effect of moving the character at a non-constant speed during movement instead. I haven't tried this myself in anyway but it's just a theory.. :) Like... "move the character usually at 2 pixels per frame, but every 10 pixel move it one pixel instead".
I get the feeling that a few Mario games uses this "technique" (not sure), it feels more like the character is actually walking instead of more "floating"..
Hope you get what I mean.

Anyway, awesome work!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

oRBIT2002 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:59 amLike... "move the character usually at 2 pixels per frame, but every 10 pixel move it one pixel instead".
I get the feeling that a few Mario games uses this "technique"
This happens naturally in games that use sub-pixel movement, which most do. If you set an object's speed to 1.9 pixels per frame, 90% of the time its visible position will move 2 pixels, but 10% of the time it will move just 1.