NESRevPlus Issues

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

SMB2J-2Q

NESRevPlus Issues

Post by SMB2J-2Q »

When I use NESRevPlus to disassemble the VS Super Mario Bros (VS).nes ROM, it doesn't do so very cleanly, whether I choose for X816 or DASM (that is, some of the bytes aren't read and disassembled properly, leaving most of the disassembled ROM garbled in the process).

Example picture:

May I ask how you guys would be able to correct this, so that the disassembler works properly for this ROM and others?

And what disassembler would you guys recommend I use, if not NESRevPlus?

Thank you,

Ben
Dwedit

Re: NESRevPlus Issues

Post by Dwedit »

Make a Code-Data log (CDL file) before trying to use any disassemblers. FCEUX lets you create one, and Mesen automatically creates one if you open the debugger and press Run.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
SMB2J-2Q

Post by SMB2J-2Q »

Dwedit wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:49 pm Make a Code-Data log (CDL file) before trying to use any disassemblers. FCEUX lets you create one, and Mesen automatically creates one if you open the debugger and press Run.
Thank you, and I will let you know further of this progress.

~Ben
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

If you're not familiar with code-data logging, it requires that you play through the game and have all the code get executed and all the data get loaded to get a complete CDL file. Have not confirmed if loading state disrupts a CDL file or not.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
SMB2J-2Q

Post by SMB2J-2Q »

Dwedit wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:12 pm If you're not familiar with code-data logging, it requires that you play through the game and have all the code get executed and all the data get loaded to get a complete CDL file. Have not confirmed if loading state disrupts a CDL file or not.
How would I start the actual gameplay for VS. Super Mario Bros. using the FCEUX emulator, after you do the "Insert Coin" thing? That way, I can get the CDL file going.

~Ben
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

SMB2J-2Q wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:24 pmHow would I start the actual gameplay for VS. Super Mario Bros. using the FCEUX emulator, after you do the "Insert Coin" thing?
In FCEUX:
the NES controller 1 SELECT button acts as the Vs. System blue 1 button
the NES controller 2 SELECT button acts as the Vs. System green 2 button

So after you insert some coins, press one of the SELECT buttons to start a 1 or 2 player game.

A stand-up Vs. System with 1 and 2 buttons.
A sit-down Vs. System with 1, 2, 3, and 4 buttons.
oRBIT2002

Post by oRBIT2002 »

Cool, that someone is using my stuff. :) Let me know if you have any cool ideas for NESRevPlus, haven't touched it for quite awhile.
SMB2J-2Q

Post by SMB2J-2Q »

Bavi_H wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:12 am
SMB2J-2Q wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:24 pmHow would I start the actual gameplay for VS. Super Mario Bros. using the FCEUX emulator, after you do the "Insert Coin" thing?
In FCEUX:
the NES controller 1 SELECT button acts as the Vs. System blue 1 button
the NES controller 2 SELECT button acts as the Vs. System green 2 button

So after you insert some coins, press one of the SELECT buttons to start a 1 or 2 player game.

A stand-up Vs. System with 1 and 2 buttons.
A sit-down Vs. System with 1, 2, 3, and 4 buttons.
Thank you!

~Ben
SMB2J-2Q

Post by SMB2J-2Q »

oRBIT2002 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:39 am Cool, that someone is using my stuff. :) Let me know if you have any cool ideas for NESRevPlus, haven't touched it for quite awhile.
I would definitely like to see improvements to it, such as the ability for it to better separate specific data from these ROMs (a la Mesen).

~Ben
SMB2J-2Q

Post by SMB2J-2Q »

Dwedit wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:12 pm If you're not familiar with code-data logging, it requires that you play through the game and have all the code get executed and all the data get loaded to get a complete CDL file. Have not confirmed if loading state disrupts a CDL file or not.
So far, no issues. Please see this screenshot for review. I completed all 32 levels.

~Ben
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Might be able to get a bit more confirmed code by having each kind of enemy bounce off a wall, get bumped from underneath, and take damage from each kind of enemy. Then maybe attach the CDL file here, so I can see it in mesen.
SMB2J-2Q

Post by SMB2J-2Q »

Dwedit wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:21 pm Might be able to get a bit more confirmed code by having each kind of enemy bounce off a wall, get bumped from underneath, and take damage from each kind of enemy. Then maybe attach the CDL file here, so I can see it in mesen.
But much harder is the ability to do turtle-tipping, since in the usual four places this can be done (World 3-1, 4-2, 6-2 and 7-1) this was removed due to a group of Goombas taking their place.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do.

~Ben
SMB2J-2Q

Post by SMB2J-2Q »

Dwedit wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:21 pm Might be able to get a bit more confirmed code by having each kind of enemy bounce off a wall, get bumped from underneath, and take damage from each kind of enemy. Then maybe attach the CDL file here, so I can see it in mesen.
VS Super Mario Bros (VS) - Copy.asm
(48 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
I cannot attach them here in this forum (invalid file type). How else would I be able to do this? Let me see if I can do this by changing the file type to *.ASM.

UPDATE: I tried this workaround, and success! After you download this file, change the file type back to *.CDL for it to work in Mesen.

~Ben
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

There are restrictions on file extensions that can be uploaded. If you zip the file, this isn't a problem (and saves space on our servers).
SMB2J-2Q

Post by SMB2J-2Q »

Fiskbit wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:26 pm There are restrictions on file extensions that can be uploaded. If you zip the file, this isn't a problem (and saves space on our servers).
Next time, I will do that. Thank you!

~Ben