NESRGB V4, another coloring issue.

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Donboxo

NESRGB V4, another coloring issue.

Post by Donboxo »

Hi everyone!

I have a PAL NES Frontloader that i converted to NTSC (deactivated the regio lock, changed Quartz, CPU to RP2A03G and PPU to RP2C02G-0) and installed a NESRGB v4.0. The only game I have for testing is Tetris (really all I want to play on the console).
For the first minutes in game everything seems fine, I have normal colors.
The color issues start when the console gets warm, so at about 5-10 minutes.
The first thing in game that changes is the text from getting white to grey:
Everything else is fine. Then after a few Minutes, the whole colors start to get wrong ingame:
Normally in the menu the colors are accurate and only ingame it starts to get completely messed up.
Sometimes, when i restart the game, everything seems fine again for a few minutes, but sometimes i get a purple background instead of black...

Anyone knows what could be the cause of this problem?
Donboxo

Re: NESRGB V4, another coloring issue.

Post by Donboxo »

Just for information, I got it to work!
Soldering the 100pF ceramic cap between pin 13 and pin 20 of the PPU did the trick.

I have since purchased a multigame cartridge to test more games. Unfortunately, the cartridge menu does not show me any text where I can select the respective games. However, when I blind start one of them, the game seems to work.
Yolt1

Post by Yolt1 »

Great job!
Thanks for the feedback
Donboxo

Post by Donboxo »

Unfortunately I have a problem again.
The console worked wonderfully until recently. Now when i want to start it, a black screen appears and nothing else.
The tv blurs the black picture briefly when turning the nes off and starting again, but immediately stays dark. The reset button does nothing.
The LEDs on the NESRGB board flash very briefly at startup, but immediately all go out again.
Does anyone know the reason for this?

I am very surprised that it worked flawlessly for so long...