Fun with ChatGPT

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Memblers
Site Admin

Fun with ChatGPT

Post by Memblers »

If you haven't seen it, ChatGPT is a language model trained on quite a bit of text available on the internet. Years ago I used to play around with markov chain text generators and that was always absurd fun, but this makes one of those seem like a baby's toy in comparison.

https://chat.openai.com/chat

It's kind of touted as something you can ask a questions to, and it's good at that. It's deeply flawed however, it will be perfectly confident about it's answers while being completely wrong. It's pretty good at explaining things, like if you ask about how do something, it may give you a high level overview of various steps, and you can ask about any of those individual steps. It knows programming languages, including 6502, and can generate code. Though the code is as basic as possible, and includes bugs, amusingly you can tell it to debug it's own code and get improvements, or iterate over it by telling it to change parts. It's hard to use it that way to any depth though, mostly because the connection to their server, seems like you can't keep the same session going indefinitely. When I copied my own 6502 asm sources into it and asked it to explain them, it seemed to be pretty accurate, having label names and stuff clearly helps. I tried feeding it some raw disassembly and it did step through the logic, but with a lot of "without further context, it's difficult to say" type of comments.

Of course, I couldn't resist just having absurd fun with it. I started out with prompts like "write a newspaper article about a freak accident involving the 2A03's $4011 register", asked it to write bulletins about dangerous hidden registers in NES mappers, and found it all pretty funny. I asked it to write an angry letter from Color Dreams to Nintendo of America, and I was impressed with how well it did at that. After that, I couldn't resist telling it to write "angry, unprofessional, disrespectful, threatenting" replies from Nintendo.

I'll attach the resulting text file. I didn't do much work with these, other than making up funny prompts. I think almost all of those are done on first try, no editing. Only with the "soap opera" did I loosely direct any of the "plot" myself, all the other stories and events are stuff ChatGPT came up with with some fairly simple prompts. Warning, some of these accidents are a little dark, and Nintendo gets pretty mean in their replies. It's divided into these sections:

Incidents and Accidents
===
Obviously Fake Anecdotes
===
Advertisements
===
Code Wars
soap opera. The integrity of the NES itself is threatened, but by whom?
===
Technical Bulletins
===
Scandal Rag
===
Angry Letters
===

For an example, here's one the newspaper articles that I thought was funny. The prompt was something like "explain the 2A03's triangle channel, in the context of a massive scale freak incident".
As the city struggles to recover from the recent massive scale freak incident, many are left wondering how the 2A03's triangle channel played a role in the chaos.

For those unfamiliar, the triangle channel is one of the five audio channels within the 2A03, a popular sound chip used in many older video game consoles. It is known for its unique ability to generate simple, yet distinct triangle waveforms.

During the incident, the triangle channel was used to create a high-pitched alarm signal, alerting citizens to evacuate the affected areas. The channel's waveform generator, controlled by a series of registers, allowed for precise manipulation of the frequency and duration of the alarm.

Additionally, the triangle channel's linear counter and length counter allowed for dynamic changes in the volume and duration of the alarm, ensuring that it could be heard even over the chaos of the freak incident.

Overall, the triangle channel proved crucial in alerting and directing citizens to safety during the crisis. As the city continues to rebuild, the importance of understanding the capabilities of technology like the 2A03's triangle channel cannot be understated.
Attachments
bullshits.txt
(65.96 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
tepples

Re: Fun with ChatGPT

Post by tepples »

Wish I could try it, but the phone number field on the signup form requires a number that can receive text messages. It doesn't accept landlines or other voice-only numbers.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Last week as a test I had asked it how to program the flash of your GTROM board. It first gave me vague and useless instructions on how to use an external programmer to do it. So I asked it to give me NES sample code to program it. It ended up giving me code that was almost correct, other than it hadn't copied it to RAM to run from RAM instead of the cartridge. So I asked it how to write a routine to copy that routine to ram and run it from there, which it provided mostly correctly (With a couple of details missing). I was impressed, although it's still not good enough to RELY on, since I had to prompt it for the corrections.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

There was that infamous time that ChatGPT tells you how to calculate the 4th side of a triangle:

Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

It's just that the AI has advanced beyond human. It has already broken through the dimension barrier that we human cannot overcome. :roll:
Prepare to fight Skynet!