unnamed-snes-game

A place where you can keep others updated about your SNES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

UnDisbeliever

unnamed-snes-game

Post by UnDisbeliever »

It's taken a lot longer then I expected, but I have finally released a tech-demo for my unnamed-snes-game.

It's a simple demo, a single dungeon. Sadly, there is no sound. I wanted to release this demo by year's end and I ran out of time.
20230101a-screenshot-ac-scaled.jpeg

Download Link: https://github.com/undisbeliever/unname ... o-alpha-v1

Source code is available on github (MIT licensed): https://github.com/undisbeliever/unnamed-snes-engine/

I'm looking for feedback, especially regarding the dungeon layout and enemy behaviour.

I hope you enjoy the demo.
olddb

Re: unnamed-snes-game

Post by olddb »

Nice :D

This is one of best SNES homebrews demos I've seen. Right up my alley.

Things I most liked:
-Fast and fluid character movement
-Enemy AI
-Transition scrolling
-Overall game design/flow

Things that need improvement:
-A better indicator when taking damage. Maybe flash the main character red or white? A hitspask of some sort would help. Also, bump the character farther and disable controls for a bit longer.
-Attack at Y Button. I would prefer it being on the B Button.
-Sword length needs to be longer. :D Also, the hitbox for the sword is not ideal.

Will continue playing...

EDIT:
Finished the demo.

Really liked this! :beer:

-Boss was fun! It took me a while to figure out you need to first strike bombs in order to pick them up.
-It wasn't apparent to me that the water actually heals, instead of reduce damage. Maybe an unique heal animation would help.
-Would love to see this more fleshed out.
Last edited by olddb on Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

Always good to see more SNES homebrew releases!
regiscaelus

Post by regiscaelus »

Enemy movement is very clever and is very distinct based on enemy type. The strong bow men are too strong at the moment. Perhaps a slower version should be encountered first to understand their pattern.
UnDisbeliever

Post by UnDisbeliever »

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad you all enjoyed my game.

The next two features I'm going to add to the game are sound effects and dynamic sprite tiles. If I don't add sound effects now, it will be months before I get around to it.
Afterwards I will add more player MetaSprite frames (player hurt frames), more particle effects (healing sparkles) and start tweaking player/enemy behaviour.

regiscaelus wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:16 pm Enemy movement is very clever and is very distinct based on enemy type. The strong bow men are too strong at the moment. Perhaps a slower version should be encountered first to understand their pattern.
When increased the attack delay of the crossbow men (the time between them spotting the player and firing the bolt) they became a lot easier to defeat (wait for them to start firing, walk around them, attack them from the side). Your idea of a trainee crossbow man, perhaps behind a monster door to force the player to learn how to defeat them, is an excellent solution to this problem.

As a bonus I could add an expert crossbow man, who has better reaction time, in a future dodge the crossbow bolts room.
regiscaelus

Post by regiscaelus »

I can't believe I wrote strong bow instead of crossbow as I don't ever drink cider.