Mesen - Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Mesen - Emulator

Post by 007 »

Nevermind problem intermittent

Exclusive full screen higher resolutions if in 16:9 switching window to fullscreen breaks fullscreen ratio
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

SMS and MD support in Mesen 2 would be a dream coming true, especially since the Sega emulator situation is a lot worse than the Nintendo emulator situation.
Yeah I agree that Mk3/SMS (or maybe even SC-3000) would be the first logical step, and if doing that core, SC-3000 and Game Gear cores are not far away. MSX is a bit steep (lots of mappers and obscure hardware) unless you focus on MSX1 only (which is very similar to SC-3000/SG-1000) like Emulicious do, but MSX2 has more and often better games.

But I agree with Sour that the current emulators needs priority now. The PC Engine emulator situation is even worse than the Sega one, Sega notably has BlastEm (MD), Emulicious (SMS), Mame (the MD core is good and Mame has a great debugger) and Mednafen (mainly for Saturn) while PC-Engine basically only had Mednafen as an accurate emulator with a good debugger (Magic Engine and Ootake are both a bit too inaccurate for homebrew development). And ever since bsnes/Higan was frozen, Mesen 2 has been about the only top emulator with good debugging that is still in active development (except for Mame).

But I still secretly hope that Sega will get the same nice Mesen-style treatment that Nintendo has one day.
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

Afaik the bsnes/higan project continues with ares. But the SNES part was already quite complete, except perhaps for the cartridge board database (?) and of course the PPU internals.
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10

Post by 007 »

Sour fixed the bug I reported! Man he is fast!!

Post by 007 »

Hmmm sunce latest fix if set exclusive full screen 1920 x 1080 and 16:9 hitting f11 to go in and out resulting in every second time 4:3 vs 16:9

Reproducible 100% of the time on 3 very different setups

Also at 4k same issue

Seems to randomly switch between scale and 8:7 actually not 4:3
Sour

Post by Sour »

Pokun wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:24 pm But I still secretly hope that Sega will get the same nice Mesen-style treatment that Nintendo has one day.
I've already had to convince myself not to write a SMS core a couple of times in the past already, so really it's probably only a matter of time until I give it a shot. But yea, for now I'd rather try to fix some of the issues in the existing cores (and ideally also release a proper "stable" version of v2) before I write any more emulation cores (even though writing new cores is easily the most fun part of all this :p).

007 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:44 pm Hmmm sunce latest fix if set exclusive full screen 1920 x 1080 and 16:9 hitting f11 to go in and out resulting in every second time 4:3 vs 16:9
I'm not entirely sure what you mean - toggling between fullscreen and windowed mode and then going back to fullscreen doesn't give the right aspect ratio sometimes? I can't reproduce this at the moment. No matter how much I toggle exclusive fullscreen it's always giving me the expected aspect ratio on my end. Is this only happening with exclusive fullscreen and not with the non-exclusive one?

Also, just FYI, in my experience (and this might vary from PC to PC?), exclusive fullscreen actually increases input lag on my PC, so unless you really have a good reason to use it, it may be better to stick to the default fullscreen window mode instead.

Post by 93143 »

creaothceann wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:35 pmAfaik the bsnes/higan project continues with ares. But the SNES part was already quite complete, except perhaps for the cartridge board database (?) and of course the PPU internals.
Okay, so just FYI, I tried my DMA colour demo in ares v132 (the latest), and it still doesn't work. The scanline offset is gone; there's no brown line any more, and the columns are still straight and stable, but the columns are also still slightly out of order and shifted right. (Strangely, bsnes v072 in accuracy mode seems to put all the columns in the right place; the only issue is the line offset...)

Perhaps more disturbing is the fact that my shmup port doesn't work any more either. This is a definite regression from higan v095. I guess Mesen is the only active emulator that can run it at the moment...

Post by 007 »

Sour wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:07 pm
Pokun wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:24 pm But I still secretly hope that Sega will get the same nice Mesen-style treatment that Nintendo has one day.
I've already had to convince myself not to write a SMS core a couple of times in the past already, so really it's probably only a matter of time until I give it a shot. But yea, for now I'd rather try to fix some of the issues in the existing cores (and ideally also release a proper "stable" version of v2) before I write any more emulation cores (even though writing new cores is easily the most fun part of all this :p).

007 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:44 pm Hmmm sunce latest fix if set exclusive full screen 1920 x 1080 and 16:9 hitting f11 to go in and out resulting in every second time 4:3 vs 16:9
I'm not entirely sure what you mean - toggling between fullscreen and windowed mode and then going back to fullscreen doesn't give the right aspect ratio sometimes? I can't reproduce this at the moment. No matter how much I toggle exclusive fullscreen it's always giving me the expected aspect ratio on my end. Is this only happening with exclusive fullscreen and not with the non-exclusive one?

Also, just FYI, in my experience (and this might vary from PC to PC?), exclusive fullscreen actually increases input lag on my PC, so unless you really have a good reason to use it, it may be better to stick to the default fullscreen window mode instead.
Weird that it only happens here 3 diff machines 2 nvidia gpu one ati. All 3 are on TVs i will test on my non tv pc later just to see.

All i meant is if you f11 in and out of full screen at specific resolutions.

I usually use exclusive mode just so I cant run at a different resolution but might be pointless. I use to keep desktop at 720p on my living room setup so for certain games i use to switch up in resolution and for retro games i got in the habbit of going to 640x480, but these days I keep the desktop at 4k anyway maybe ill just turn exclusive off and test.

Mind you using 640x480 at 4:3 exclusive has been working flawless. And to be honest ive never noticed any input lag. Maybe i just dont know how to notice it.
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

93143 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:17 am Okay, so just FYI, I tried my DMA colour demo in ares v132 (the latest), and it still doesn't work. The scanline offset is gone; there's no brown line any more, and the columns are still straight and stable, but the columns are also still slightly out of order and shifted right. (Strangely, bsnes v072 in accuracy mode seems to put all the columns in the right place; the only issue is the line offset...)
You could try opening an issue on github, but...
93143 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:17 am Perhaps more disturbing is the fact that my shmup port doesn't work any more either. This is a definite regression from higan v095.
... if the maintainers or somebody else doesn't understand the PPU at least as well as Near, then this is probably not going to get better.
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Well, Ares seems to still be active, so that's at least another candidate. It seemingly has pretty good N64 emulation too.

Post by 007 »

Small suggestion add an always open in full screen option. Useful if you put mesen2 behind a front end like romshelf.

Or is there already maybe a command line argument for this?

Asking for a friend.

For me im just using mesen2 as is for nes snes and pce and still running kega fusion for sms and genesis and 32x with these apps i have all i want. But a friend of mine runs a more elaborate setup and he is using something called romshelf and im trying to move him to mesen2 for the cores it supports.

Mesen fan boy here lol

For my gaming its been solid. Previouse to mesen2 i was already mesen for nes mesen s for snes and mednafen for pce. Moving to mesen for pce as well has made me a happy camper already

Note for casual gaming not debugging or anything kega fusion runs perfect on latest builds of both win10 and 11.

Other option is bizhawk or retroarch but im happy using mesen2 and kega for all my needs
ISSOtm

Post by ISSOtm »

Here is a bug report: Pokémon Gen 1's music seems to have regressed recently, for example the title screen track seems noisier than in SameBoy; this commit seems to be the culprit.
The French Lord of Laziness (and a huge Legend of Zelda fan)
https://github.com/ISSOtm
ASMu is laifu <3
Sour

Post by Sour »

007 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:02 am Small suggestion add an always open in full screen option. Useful if you put mesen2 behind a front end like romshelf.

Or is there already maybe a command line argument for this?
You should be able to use --fullscreen on the command line to do this

ISSOtm wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:17 pm Here is a bug report: Pokémon Gen 1's music seems to have regressed recently, for example the title screen track seems noisier than in SameBoy; this commit seems to be the culprit.
Thanks! As far as I can tell, this was caused by changes done in early march that were part of a lot of changes/fixes I did to make the APU pass more of the SameSuite APU tests. The bug was caused by an old issue in the code that's always been there but wasn't as noticeable before. The audio in pokemon should be working properly now.
bklD

Post by bklD »

bklD wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:43 am Cool. :) There is one thing I have noticed: If your windows dpi is 200% (that's my default setting), start Mario Paint, enable SNES mouse with controller 1 and click on the game window, the cursor goes in the upper left corner and you can't control the mouse anymore in the game. This is not happening with windows dpi scale 100% - 175%. Really weird.
Unfortunately, this bug is back again with windows dpi scale 200%. It's not exactly the same, but you can't move the mouse to the bottom or to the right.

Post by 007 »

bklD wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:39 am
bklD wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:43 am Cool. :) There is one thing I have noticed: If your windows dpi is 200% (that's my default setting), start Mario Paint, enable SNES mouse with controller 1 and click on the game window, the cursor goes in the upper left corner and you can't control the mouse anymore in the game. This is not happening with windows dpi scale 100% - 175%. Really weird.
Unfortunately, this bug is back again with windows dpi scale 200%. It's not exactly the same, but you can't move the mouse to the bottom or to the right.

Right click disable full screen engancements and then compatibili Dpi scaling by application

Edit: maybe not latest commit shows a fix.