Mesen - Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Reaper_Man

Re: Mesen - Emulator

Post by Reaper_Man »

Sour wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:25 pm
Reaper_Man wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:58 amdid you ever figure out what was causing the AVI desync issues when rewinding or loading a savestate while recording? That's probably one of the first things I'm going to test.
I just did some changes that should fix the desync when loading a state, and another desync that occurred when pausing/resuming the emulation. Rewind is tougher and I haven't been able to figure out where the extra frames are coming from exactly, this will most likely have to wait until later.
I think given how rewind works, the loadstate fix (while seeming a bit hacky? Why not just not update the frame on load at all?) may have squashed the bug. I'll see about how it works with a new build, or I may consider making a build myself, it's just that preparing a dev environment would be a bit cumbersome.
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

ndiddy wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:24 pm Since nobody else has called it out yet, I think the Mode 7 perspective visualization is really neat, nice work!
Where is this? I can't seem to find it.

____
Was excited to see this release for quite some time. Tried and so far it has been working great!
SNESPlayer

Post by SNESPlayer »

Yay it's out! Been using it so far and no problems! Compiled with LTO/Clang on a modern Debian and using .NET6 SDK and all's well. Highly appreciate this release since trying to juggle multiple forks of Mesen and Mesen-S and getting them all play nicely was a bit of a challenge sometimes. The .ico for some reason is kinda really small but is also very cute that way so I don't particularly mind. Thanks! (I am also thankful for this since Bizhawk only detects X360 controllers on Linux and not some other type of gamepads without some serious hackery here and there so having an emulator like Mesen that recognizes just about anything helps a lot)
jeffythedragonslayer

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

Stepping into a STP freezes Mesen 2. I recommend checking the "Break on.." STP checkbox in the right panel of the debugger until this is fixed.
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

Great news, Sour! I'm glad to see you on the emu-scene again!
Shonumi

Post by Shonumi »

Nice to have you back, Sour! I still remember your impressive work reverse-engineering and emulating the StudyBox. Good luck with Mesen 2. I'll keep an eye on this.
bogaa

Post by bogaa »

I just started using it and I don't know how to thank you for building such amazing tools! Thank you Senpai! Never got into PC engine much. I had a issue loading Dracula X Rondo of Blood. It does load a Demo when CD ROM is selected. I tried recommended settings and other things but seems to fail after loading tiles.. sorry for not providing info on how it fails. So may be something on my side too..

Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

bogaa wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:01 pm I had a issue loading Dracula X Rondo of Blood. It does load a Demo when CD ROM is selected. I tried recommended settings and other things but seems to fail after loading tiles..
Check what is being set in Option --> PC Engine --> General --> CD-ROM System.
Since Dracula X is a Super CD-ROM2 game, it would only play that demo if the system is not set to Super CD-ROM2 or Arcade CD-ROM[sup2[/sup].

I see that by default it's set to Arcade CD-ROM[sup2[/sup] but this is worth checking in case your is et to (original) CD-ROM[sup2[/sup] for some reasons.
juan reina

Post by juan reina »

@Sour. Thanks for the awesome new Mesen! I have an issue not with the emulation, but more so with the accessibility of the emulator when it comes to using the emulator with a screen reader. I am using the emulator on windos with the screen reader called NVDA here https://www.nvaccess.org/
All the info as well as test is in this recording. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-flxdS ... sp=sharing
I as well as those who are blind and are big on emulators and emulation, would appreciate the fix on this very much! Thank you in advance.
Visit the chiptune and chipmusic opendirectory at https://chiparchive.com/files/
Sour

Post by Sour »

Sorry that I'm not replying to everybody - I do appreciate all the comments and feedback! Thank you!

Reaper_Man wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:52 amI think given how rewind works, the loadstate fix (while seeming a bit hacky? Why not just not update the frame on load at all?) may have squashed the bug.
The frame update on loading a state is a feature someone else requested a long time ago (e.g to be able to see the screen immediately if the state is loaded while paused, or while stepping through the debugger, etc.), this is why that code exists.
That said, I can assure you rewind is still messing up the sync despite this part of the fix :p The states loaded by the rewind functionality don't actually use this part of the load state code, so the fix has no impact on it.

jeffythedragonslayer wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:15 amStepping into a STP freezes Mesen 2
Thanks, this is fixed.

bogaa wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:01 pmI had a issue loading Dracula X Rondo of Blood.
Hard to be sure what you did, but like Gilbert suggested, it sounds like you selected the basic "CD-ROM" addon instead of using the super/arcade cd-rom which are required for this game (that's what the text in your screenshot says)

juan reina wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:45 pmaccessibility of the emulator when it comes to using the emulator with a screen reader
I did a quick test with NVDA, and for the most part it seems to be reading UI elements properly? I'm not seeing an obvious difference vs the old winforms UI. That said, this is mostly in the hands of the UI toolkit itself, as far as I can tell screen reader support was added to Avalonia at some point last year, but maybe it has issues, I don't really know.

Individualised wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:08 amWhere is this? I can't seem to find it.
In the tilemap viewer, if you're displaying a mode 7 tilemap & turn on "show scroll overlay", it'll be shown.
bogaa

Post by bogaa »

sour wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:01 pmHard to be sure what you did, but like Gilbert suggested, it sounds like you selected the basic "CD-ROM" addon instead of using the super/arcade cd-rom which are required for this game (that's what the text in your screenshot says)
- I did try CD ROM and it worked.
- Super CD ROM did not work
- Arcade CD ROM did not work

I did get a other iso and that worked flawless :D Is there a data base to verify your iso?

Here are the once I tried. I had no issue running it with Bizhawk.. But I should investigate more before I do posts sry

Only CD ROM worked
No database match. Akumajou_Dracula_X_-_Chi_no_Rinne_(NTSC-J)_[KMCD3005]
File/ROM SHA-1: 980682ADE83FF82314AECC91C04092EE1848DFDB
File/ROM CRC32: 68789807

Everything worked
No database match. Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo (JP) Worked
File/ROM SHA-1: 8728C4600691F31768FBEB75B2F508A00A758A18
File/ROM CRC32: A62E216F
VEG

Post by VEG »

Font in UI became a bit blurry and pale, only window title looks fine.

Individualised

Post by Individualised »

Speaking of fonts, it might be worth adding back the option to change the font in the memory viewer, as the font it's trying to use is not present on non-Windows systems and therefore the memory viewer is difficult to use because the font that it substitutes it with is not a monospace one.
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

This emu is on GitHub. If you can, submit your issues (or suggestions) here, it will be easier for Sour to manage, instead of looking at a thread that will go large in a matter of time.

(Can't help but feel sorry for a developer!)
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
Sour

Post by Sour »

bogaa wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:21 amHere are the once I tried.
Thanks for the info - it's possible that there's an issue with the .cue sheet parser or something akin, I'll try to find the problem.

VEG wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:06 amFont in UI became a bit blurry and pale, only window title looks fine.
This is a bug with the UI framework (Avalonia) at the moment, but it's been fixed in their latest nightly builds: https://github.com/AvaloniaUI/Avalonia/pull/9558
Once they release a new "preview" for Avalonia 11, I should be able to upgrade to it and that should fix font rendering. So hopefully it'll be fixed within a few weeks.

Individualised wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:57 amSpeaking of fonts, it might be worth adding back the option to change the font in the memory viewer
The option is still there (among with others), look at the Debug -> Settings -> Fonts & Colors settings. This reminds me I should probably change the default fonts when running on Linux, though. If you want it to be essentially 1:1 with the Windows version, install Consolas & MS Sans Serif on your Linux installation and use those, it'll render basically identically to the Windows build.

There are also a couple more general font options in Preferences -> Advanced (making the font too big/small might break some layout, though).

Jarhmander wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:33 amit will be easier for Sour to manage, instead of looking at a thread that will go large in a matter of time.
No worries, I explicitly turned off issues on the GitHub repo for now to reduce the amount of feature requests/etc while I'm still focusing on fixing bugs and finishing up the rest of the code for v2. I realize this might be less convenient for bug reporting, too, but please bear with me for now :p I'll turn on the issues tab eventually.