Mesen - Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Controllerhead

Re: Mesen - Emulator

Post by Controllerhead »

Ok, as a preface, i am glad that there is now the ability to customize the debugger window! This is a great step and i really appreciate the ability to do so. ...However, some things appear to be broken =(

X'ing out windows doesn't work when pinned (though right click -> close does); In a multi-tab: sometimes i can't drag individual windows out once multi-tab'd; sometimes it doesn't let me adjust width / height in a new position. Interacting with it could yield others.

Of note is a truly severe issue where you can X out all the windows to an unrecoverable state where opening the debugger just crashes the whole emulator; i had to rebuild the emulator from scratch and wipe all settings to alleviate this.

If you want to play with it yourself: File -> Reset to Default Layout can help you if it gets in a funny state.

I think it just needs a little attention is all. Thanks! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Ok, sorry, for my original post i had code from a couple months ago, i've updated and it seems a bit better now, i edited the post and the issues listed still exist (not sure about the one where you X out all the windows, but at this point, i don't wanna try it again...)

Post by 007 »

@sour is this thread the official Mesen thread or is there somewhere else people discuss this emulator?

Also after tons of heavy use for gaming the only thing I wish to see changed a bit are the scanlines. Thhey are too big, compare to lets say mame or retroarch shaders it look like there are alot less and appear thick. Is this something you could on day revisit?

For now I just keep them off
jadasse

Post by jadasse »

Sour wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:48 pm
NSFE is the same as NSF, just with different/more metadata about the tracks/titles/etc. You still need to emulate the entire song to be able to seek through it, unfortunately.
Noted.
Sour

Post by Sour »

Controllerhead wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:28 amHowever, some things appear to be broken =(
I've fixed the X button not working. In general though, this entire functionality is using an open source component, it's not my own code, so some fixes might not be possible. I've updated it the component to its latest build (along with updating to avalonia 11 preview 8, which means some things might be broken although it seems to be working properly) - maybe some issues are fixed, although I'd expect it to be mostly the same as before.

How did you close all the windows? It shouldn't be possible to close the "disassembly" window - did you find a way to do this (I tried a few things but could not find any way to do this on my end)

I'm not sure what you mean by "pinned"?

007 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:29 pm @sour is this thread the official Mesen thread or is there somewhere else people discuss this emulator?
Other than some feedback/bug reports on the nesdev discord, everything else is here.

007 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:29 pm Also after tons of heavy use for gaming the only thing I wish to see changed a bit are the scanlines.
This was discussed earlier in this thread I think. Improving the scanline "effect" and/or adding support for shaders isn't really a priority right now - it's unlikely I'll devote time to this in the short/medium-term.
Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead »

Sour wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:12 pm In general though, this entire functionality is using an open source component, it's not my own code, so some fixes might not be possible.
Ah, i understand, not a big deal, there isn't anything that can't be fixed by just hitting Reset To Defualt Layout, except...
Sour wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:12 pm How did you close all the windows? It shouldn't be possible to close the "disassembly" window - did you find a way to do this (I tried a few things but could not find any way to do this on my end)
I ...don't remember lol, and i can't seem to do it again. It was actually a while ago, however, i do have this zipped copy containing the emulator crashing with a stack trace when you try to open the debugger with the debugger window gone if you want to implement some sort of safety check: https://nesblast.com/stuff/Mesen2_no_debugger_crash.zip
Sour wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:12 pm I'm not sure what you mean by "pinned"?
Just attached in the window, as opposed to free floating.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Regarding Game Boy Window Y logic:
https://github.com/SourMesen/Mesen2/com ... 5R278-R279

The check is ($FF4A == LY) && ($FF40.5 == 1) so if the Window was disabled when WY==LY then the Window Y Match does not get set.

This is what the game Warriors of Might And Magic depends on. It disables the Window in VBlank and then later enables it at line 121.
jadasse

Post by jadasse »

Is Mesen2 planned to play VGMs? (NES APU only, gives error for any incompatible audio chips)

Post by 007 »

Nevermind

Fresh installs of latest everything on another system don’t replicate. Should of tested better before reporting.
Last edited by 007 on Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reaper_Man

Post by Reaper_Man »

Any luck looking into the rewind desync issues? I think I ran into that a bit when recording some footage.
Last edited by Reaper_Man on Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sour

Post by Sour »

Sorry for the very late replies, I haven't had much free time over the past month.

Controllerhead wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:31 amI ...don't remember lol, and i can't seem to do it again.
Turns out the way to do this is to drop the window in a specific way when dragging it, causing it to become a floating window (even though I disabled this, the library I'm using doesn't properly block this as intended) and then you can close the disassembly window once it's floating.

The ability to float the windows is meant to be disabled because it doesn't work too nicely with everything else, but yea. Either way, the crash should be fixed, it'll reset the workspace layout to its default layout whenever something breaks.

paulb_nl wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:59 am Regarding Game Boy Window Y logic:
https://github.com/SourMesen/Mesen2/com ... 5R278-R279

The check is ($FF4A == LY) && ($FF40.5 == 1) so if the Window was disabled when WY==LY then the Window Y Match does not get set.

This is what the game Warriors of Might And Magic depends on. It disables the Window in VBlank and then later enables it at line 121.
Thanks! I've tweaked the code based on this and Warriors of Might and Magic seems to still be working properly. Please let me know if I've somehow misinterpreted what you were saying.

jadasse wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:32 pm Is Mesen2 planned to play VGMs? (NES APU only, gives error for any incompatible audio chips)
Probably not, the VGM format doesn't look like it's something that would be trivial to implement, since it doesn't appear to work anything like all the other music file formats that are currently supported.

Reaper_Man wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:34 pm Any luck looking into the rewind desync issues? I think I ran into that a bit when recording some footage.
No - I spent a couple of hours initially trying to figure out what was causing the desync but couldn't find it. It's still on my list of bugs to look at, but not really a high priority at the moment, sorry!
ageofadz

Post by ageofadz »

Excited to see this project in full swing!

I use an immutable OS (SteamOS on the Steam Deck) and installing things like dotnet can be tricky or cumbersome.

I see that there's an open PR for an AppImage: https://github.com/SourMesen/Mesen2/pull/25, curious to hear if there's any thoughts on using that to make it much easier to use Mesen2 on Linux or if there's any plans for a more user friendly Linux packaging (for immutable OSes) of Mesen2.

Thank you!
Last edited by ageofadz on Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead »

Sour wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:07 am Turns out the way to do this is to drop the window in a specific way when dragging it, causing it to become a floating window (even though I disabled this, the library I'm using doesn't properly block this as intended)
AH! Yes i spent one night going full QA mode on that thing... sorry for any wild goose chases on the edgiest of edge cases but i'm very glad you figured it out. You're The Man :mrgreen:

Post by 007 »

@sour

Would it be possible to get you to include this nes palette with mesen2?

note from attached

Wavebeam:

Nakedarthur's final approximation palette suited to his experiences with consumer TV NTSC NES colors. Generally looks like a more saturated version of Smooth (FBX) in the final revision.

obtained here http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/Nov ... lettes.zip

Like all nes palettes already loads I mean just include built in if possible.
Attachments
Wavebeam.pal
(192 Bytes) Downloaded 24 times
Fugus

Post by Fugus »

Hello sir, glad to see Mesen is continuing. But wanted to put a possible suggestion I once put on the ports of the older one.

When it comes to SNES games, there are only a select few games that actually use the Super Scope or Mouse. Would it be possible to have the emulator read any information in the ROM itself and if it ends up being one of those games, it automatically select those peripherals for the proper ports?

Then people could have it setup where when they normally played most games it would default to their typically controller setup but the moment they selected those games, it would switch to the setup for the Mouse or Super Scope.
tepples

Post by tepples »

That might be difficult. Some games include the Multitap, Super Scope, and Super NES Mouse libraries just to detect them and, if found, freeze on a message to turn off the power and disconnect them.