uNESsential (qbasic NES emulator from 1998) updated

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

uNESsential (qbasic NES emulator from 1998) updated

Post by Dwedit »

This happened on 2022-12-03, a NES emulator made in QBASIC (previously released in 1998) got updated, rebuilt using QB64. It's still just as janky as ever, but now runs on modern PCs without DOS emulating DOS and running a copy of QBASIC.

Link: https://dataswamp.org/~josk/unessential/
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tokumaru

Re: uNESsential (qbasic NES emulator from 1998) updated

Post by tokumaru »

Oh, I remember this! I was really into QBASIC back then. And it was also around that time that I first started playing NES games, since I never had a NES or Famiclone as a young kid.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

Hahaha, awesome.

I remember trying to play games with it, it didn't work all that well. There was one more emulator I remember using which worked a bit better.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Dwedit wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:17 am This happened on 2022-12-03, a NES emulator made in QBASIC (previously released in 1998) got updated, rebuilt using QB64. It's still just as janky as ever, but now runs on modern PCs without DOS emulating DOS and running a copy of QBASIC.
Hah, thanks for the mention! I'd have posted about it myself if I wasn't such a lurker, and it's good to see that it didn't fly completely under the radar. Also: we're old!